Saturday, July 18, 2009

A post in which we go to see Half Blood Prince*

I had heard from Russ yesterday that he was going to Anderson today, and asked if I could tag along. So we went. I didn’t really need anything today. I have a ton of food in the fridge. But I just wanted to go to hang out with Russ. There wasn’t much glass today, but I did buy another Sharon cake plate for cheap. I figure when I can pick one up, I will, and that way I’ll have some to take cakes to people on. We didn’t find any shadow boxes today. The man who used to build them may not have a booth out there any longer. But Russ didn’t lose his phone, which was a good thing.


Sharon, or "Cabbage Rose" cake plate in crystal by Federal Glass Company, circa 1935-1939

Russ dropped me back at my place on his way home, and reminded me that we were going to see Harry Potter this afternoon. I’m glad he did, because I thought we were going tomorrow. I called Miss Kat to make sure that she knew we were going today.

About that time I got an email from a friend, he’s been coming to see me lately in the mornings, and asked for me to run out to Greer today. I really didn’t have time for that, but since he’s been so good to me, I went anyway.

I dropped by Taco Bell on the way home for a burrito since I didn’t think I’d make it through the movie otherwise, got ready, and met everyone at the Harry Potter matinee. Miss Kat had said that she wanted to go see it with Russ and Billy (dana apparently can’t watch movies in the theater any longer because of motion sickness), but the bears were coming too. The movie was good. It was pretty much what I expected it would be. They did a good job of keeping to the story, and the changes they had to make for time didn’t seem to hurt anything. There was time for enough of the sub-plots to keep to the flavor of the book. The effects, as usual, were great.

After the movie was the great debate about where we were going to eat supper. Eventually, we settled on Quaker Steak and Lube, for reasons that are not entirely clear to me. A restaurant named after an automotive product just doesn't set my salivary glands ablaze. But hey, I was along for the ride, and when I go out to eat with friends, it’s as much for the company as the food anyway. I was a bit intimidated about going to this place though, I will admit. They are next to the Harley dealership, and are pretty involved with the biker community. Not that I’m against bikers or anything. My mother is one, and some of her friends are really nice. I know all bikers aren’t hoods or something; but they’re just usually not guys who relish the company of homosexuals. And there is a bar there.

Well I was a bit intimidated until I got in there. Basically, it’s like an Applebee’s for rednecks, with motorcycles hanging from the ceiling. Our drinks came out with bendy straws, there was a birthday party going on, and Michael Jackson was playing on the sound system. Yeah, I was much less intimidated after I noticed all that. We had a decent, though expensive meal. I got the impression that most of the food was standard frozen and then deep-fried stuff. The sauces, though (or ‘lube’ in restaurant parlance) were really good. I bet their wings are excellent. I could have eaten cut up tires dipped in the 'Louisiana Lickers' sauce. I had a margarita, some tea, a salad, and a shrimp and fry basket. My bill was $27. Before tip. That’s pretty pricey for Mrs. Paul’s shrimp to me. But the sauce was really good. And I got to see my friends. Vince and Brian were with us, and ended up sitting next to them. They’re fun.

After dinner was another set of SALT talks about where we were going next and what we were doing that night. Vince was lobbying hard to go to the bar, because they had strippers tonight. I don’t know why this was endlessly fascinating to him, but it was. I have never liked strippers. Personally, I feel that if a man takes his clothes off in front of me, he should mean business. Particularly if I'm paying him. Don't show me the candy and then take it away. I just don't get it.

Since they were going to a bar, I figured it would be a Blockbuster night.

I called Billy on the way home though, to ask him to text my phone number to a mutual friend. This guy broke up with his lover and is about my age. I talked to him at the movies today, and basically just reached out to him. I’m not hitting on the guy – I have sworn a Scarlett O'Hara vow to never again to be involved with a man I have to have a chain and wench to drag words out of, and that’s pretty much this guy – plus, he’s yet another top. But I thought it might be nice for him to have someone he could talk to (were he so inclined), or go to dinner with, or just hang out and watch a movie. When I talked to Billy, he told me they weren’t really interested in going out, but were just humoring Vince. Billy asked me over to the house, and said they were inviting this guy as well. I gladly turned around and headed for R&B’s house.

We had a nice evening. We hung out and talked. Russ made Cinnabons and ice cream, which of course I need like a padded bra, but which I scarfed nonetheless.

As we were walking out, I offered said guy (who shall remain nameless) my phone number. He basically told me he didn’t want it. I was like what the fuck ever. I guess it’s for the best. I’ve had enough to do lately just looking after myself. But I thought it might have been nice to be around someone else who knows what this feels like. R&B are great, but they’ve been together for like sixteen years. As have Dan’l and Jim, Kimbley and Laura, Donnie and Mark, etc. I am blessed with wonderful friends who care about me, but there are some things that people who have been married for an extended period of time just can’t understand. They mean well, but give bone-headed advice/clichés like “you’ll find him when you’re not looking” and crap like that. I just thought it might be nice to have another single person to hang out with. But maybe I just don’t have enough left over to help someone else right now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What do you mean, you don't get it? You used to DO that, remember?

thefabulousmrthing said...

Honestly, the fact that I used to do it really doesn't clue me in that much. I know why I did it, but I don't understand people giving up an evening to go watch it.