Sunday, July 12, 2009

A post in which I have dinner with Kindred*

Russ and I had decided last night to go to the Anderson Jockey Lot today. He was looking for some shadow boxes, and I just wanted to go. I was up early, as per usual, so toasted some cheddar jalapeno bagels they had given me last night (they're back on Weight Watchers, and once again Purging All Carbs from the house). They went pretty well with mashed avocado and lemon juice. I didn't make any coffee because Russ brings me Starbuck's when we go to the flea market.

We had a pretty good time. I turned down several pieces of glass, but ended up buying another clear piece. First, I found it inexplicably charming. Plus it was in great shape, and cheap as chips at $2. It is a divided relish that was apparently given away as a premium with a spice set originally. For whatever reason I couldn't resist; despite the fact that it was yet another clear piece, which I have resolved to stop buying. Apparently unsuccessfully.

Mayfair "Open Rose" oval divided 12" platter in crystal by Hocking Glass Company, circa 1931-1937

The trip went fine, until we started to head indoors. Russ realized he didn't have his phone, which had been clipped to the messenger bag he was carrying. I called it, hoping it would ring in the truck, but no dice. It went straight to voice mail. That was a bad sign, since he hadn't turned it off, and it was fully charged. We re-traced our steps, but didn't find it. Someone picked it up I guess, and it was an expensive phone. That pretty much ended the trip. Russ didn't feel like looking around any more, and I really couldn't blame him. I didn't need anything anyway, so we went on home.

I went home, lay down for a while. I was really beat. I guess it's the heat or something, but I just felt like I was going to collapse if I didn't get some down time. When I got up I started cooking. I had a bunch vegetable odds and ends in the fridge and decided just to make a stew. Once it was going, I decided to flavor it with some curry. It smelled so good, I decided to go online and see how far I was from a Nine Gems Curry. It turned out I was only a couple of ingredients off if I counted the pre-mixed curry powder I used as the spices. I added a few more spice odds and ends, then went to the store. With the addition of some ginger preserves, some cashew butter, and a can of coconut milk, I had a pretty damn decent curry - the first one I have ever made that was fit to eat when I didn't resort to Golden Curry mix. I was exceedingly pleased.

By the time I put that together, it was time to get ready to go to dinner. Miss Kat and dana had sent out a critter call. They want to start having monthly dinners for people and pledges to the Kindred, just to socialize and see each other. We don't get together often enough. It turned out to just be Miss Kat, dana, Russ, Billy, Lori, and me; but really that was a nice group, and we really enjoyed supper. Afterwards we went to Russ and Billy's to continue socializing. We weren't ready to end the evening yet. We just smoked, talked, and socialized. It was a very nice evening.

No comments: