Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A post in which I am sore

The soreness I was expecting yesterday came in today. I had brackets of pain on both biceps that I remembered whenever I moved my arms today, so basically all day.

I had a pretty surprising email from Rhonda this morning, basically asking if I still wanted to be her friend. It wouldn’t have been so surprising (we haven’t seen much of each other for a while) if I hadn’t felt like last night went so well. In the end, we got it all worked out, and we’re good. It may all work out great, since Laura just told me recently that I need to find a partner for cards. Michael and I spent many an enjoyable evening at Kimbley and Laura’s playing cards. Since Rhonda’s new lover doesn’t play, if we can work out a regular card night with them it would be perfect. I can’t just have a casual date over to play with Kimbley and Laura, plus so many people don’t play cards anymore. Also, Rhonda is an excellent card player (indeed, she is better than I am) so there wouldn’t be any training period required.

The California settlement hearing continues to hang out there. The attorney has made a motion for me to appear by telephone, but the judge hasn’t ruled on it yet. The courts in the San Francisco area (the hearing is in Hayward, CA) are frequently backed up, and we can wait months to hear a ruling on a motion. One specific default judgment we waited a year for, but this motion should be ruled on before we’re actually required to appear.

I contacted Fran, one of my reps, today to let her know that there could be a complication with our plans for the weekend. She is out here on a visit to her dad in NC, and is coming down to see me and spend some time this weekend. She’s an avid bargain hunter, and is stoked about the Andersen Jockey Lot. I had thought about going to Wilkesboro this weekend to see Granny, but I had forgotten that Fran was coming. Since next weekend is the Bear Pool Party for August, I guess that lets out next weekend also. I do need to get up there, although I don’t relish going in the hot summertime. There isn’t any air conditioning upstairs, although Mom told me that there are a couple of window units in some of the bedrooms now.

I heard from Russ today. He reminded me that when I was moving a washer/dryer last weekend, I was supposed to have been at the flea market with him. It had completely slipped my mind. I’ve been on such a press to fill my weekends lately (so that I don’t have time to get broody), that I guess I overbooked myself without realizing it. Russ also told me he’s going to give my number to the guy I met up at the barber shop a couple of weeks ago. I hope he’ll call. He was a nice guy. I guess we’ll see. Now that I’ve decided to devote my life to my friends and various other spinster pursuits, I’m not frantic about it, but it would be nice to have a good guy to at least go to dinner with and stuff. I don’t know though, from what I understand, this man has a bit of a penchant for the young’uns. I guess I’ll either hear from him or not, right?

When I got off work, I went up to the gym to work out some of that soreness. I know what causes it, and the only way to stop hurting is to wait it out, but you can speed that up by working the sore muscles. So I did penance today for being impatient with my body on Monday. But at least it motivated me to get back into doing some weights work, which I had been putting off.

I went on Facebook again tonight to work on my profile a bit, and answer some messages, but didn’t stay on for long. There are so many screens, and there is so much stuff dumped into your front page, that I just find it bewildering and aggravating. I’m trying to figure out how the myriad of functions work, while getting virtual hearts, jello shots, and friend requests. It’s like the Chuck E Cheese of friend/chat sites. But hey, what else do I have to do, right?

I ate a salad, a sandwich, some nuts, and two cookies for dinner tonight. That’s not too bad I guess. I purposely didn't weigh today. My weight was going back down a bit the last time I did, and I don't want to discourage myself.

There was a pre-code musical called Hips Hips Hooray on TCM tonight. I tried to get into it, but just couldn’t. It was too lower-rent Marx brothers-ish to me. I finally turned it off and put in the Ang Lee version of Sense and Sensibility. Again. And went to bed.

4 comments:

rhonda said...

i would say we're about equal in the spades arena, i definitely don't think i'm better at it than you!

thefabulousmrthing said...

I beg to differ, Trumperella! LOL

Anonymous said...

HEY!!! HEY!! !!!!!!!!!HEY!!!!!!!Whats a friend got to do, to get on your social calender ?Hell,it's been so long, JOE even asked "What's happened to Steve?" We bathe regular and everything,so why we not seeing you ?It's been like forever!! missing you much Michael and Joe

thefabulousmrthing said...

All ya gotta do is get in touch and make a date. Then I'll put you on the calendar. I'm busy tonight and tomorrow night, and am going to the Jockey Lot with Fran in the morning.

Next weekend is the Bear Pool Party on the 8th.