Saturday, July 4, 2009

A post in which I go to the pool party

I had lots to do today, but I wanted to make sure I got some sleep. Although I was up early, this was one of those rare days that I could go back to sleep, so I did. I woke up around 9am, and headed for the flea market. I had a lot of produce to buy. There wasn’t any glass, but then I hadn’t been expecting much today – holiday weekends suck for finding good stuff. I hauled home all the vegetables and fruit, then went back out. I rode by Latin Express again this morning for coffee and toast, forgetting that they were closed for the 4th. But since I was near Publix anyway, I just went ahead and picked up my fill-in stuff to finish making everything today.

When I got home I turned on The Presidents on History Channel and started cooking. I made my Korean pickles done first, since they need to sit, and then destroyed the kitchen making cole slaw. It was SO messy. I think next time I may just try doing everything with a knife and see if that doesn’t actually go just as fast as getting out the food processor. By the time I got everything done and got the kitchen cleaned up, it was time to get ready for the party.

The invitations said 2ish, and I managed to get there pretty much on time, despite getting behind people of glacial slowness at Bi Lo. Why is it that when you’re in a hurry to get somewhere, everyone else has a terminal case of molasses-ass? My GPS then told me that the street that Jennifer and Christina live on did not exist, but I called Kimbley and got directions. I actually got there before they did.

Jennifer and Christina just got a new pool, and it is beautiful, but there isn’t a scrap of shade anywhere. It was like sitting in an oven on this afternoon. I finally just got in the water and stayed there, between bouts of layering on more sun screen. I drank all afternoon. We started on beer, and then Laura was making blender drinks. This is one of the few times I can remember not being impatient with them. They were blessedly cold, delicious, and I figured I could use the water from all that ice. Needless to say, I was pretty looped by the time the sun started to go down.

There were a couple of gay guys at the party, but it was mostly girls. Kimbley and Laura were there, and it’s always good to see them. Jennifer and Christina of course. A couple of their friends that I hadn’t met previously. It wasn’t a huge party, which I was glad about. It was a nice group. There was one guy named Jonathan. He was a cousin of Jennifer, and kind of cute, but very, very quiet. He got tore down pretty early and barely said a thing the rest of the evening. He was too young and skinny for me anyway, and still doing the club thing. The other guy, Matt, was absolutely adorable, but absolutely knew it. He was fun and full of conversation, but was really out of my league. He had apparently come in second place in some Mr. Cub contest in Atlanta recently. Still, he was fun. The other guy that was there was nice, but straight.

We hung out in the pool, drank, and then ate supper. My slaw went over big, and the pickles were a huge hit, as usual. Everything was really good, and I ate a huge meal. We kind of lolled around after dinner, in the water and on the deck, watched the fireworks around us, and just smoked and shot the shit.

By about 10:30 though, I was done. I had been there for 8 hours, and at least 4 of those had been out in the direct sun and heat, and had been drinking all afternoon. Even after I switched over to water, I had that drug-out feeling. I left before they even broke out the sparklers.

No comments: