Sunday, July 26, 2009

A post in which I go to supper at Jeff and James's place*

When James called me yesterday, I told him I would bring a batch of my triple-cheese bean dip with me tonight. At the time, it seemed like I would have plenty of time to do that and not rush today. I rarely make it because it’s such a pain in the ass.

Of course, going to move appliances this morning kind of threw off my timing, but in all honesty it was really more my fault. I got up early and had a buddy come by for a bit, then did a quick run through the flea market on White Horse. I didn’t get anything. It strange how things go in cycles there. I need fabric softener. Two weeks ago, everyone had Downy for sale, but now no one does. The source has apparently dried up.

Then I ran over to Miss Kat and dana’s house, reflecting that it would perhaps have been wiser to eat breakfast than to go to the flea market this morning. Miss Kat saved me though; she had breakfast ready when I got there. After eggs, grits, and whole wheat toast, I felt much more human and ready to move a big washer/dryer set.

We got the set on the truck easily enough – the auction house had a big dock you could just back up to and basically drop stuff into a truck; but it was a bit scary getting them home. Greg was riding with dana in the truck, and Helen, Miss Kat, and I were following. Greg decided to ride in the back with the set, standing up for some odd reason. Had they started to fall out, I don’t know of a thing he could have done about it but fall out with them. That’s a man for you. The police rode right by us on the way back; but didn’t stop dana, amazingly.

Getting the set in the house actually went much more easily than I expected. Their laundry room is awkwardly placed in the basement, and you have to actually push the washer and dryer through a low hole cut in the wall. With the aid of a hand truck though, the whole thing went amazingly smoothly.

That’s when I got into trouble on my timing. We went upstairs for a celebratory smoke, after which I was fairly worthless for about an hour. I left their house around noon, and went by the grocery store on the way home to get the rest of the stuff for the dip. That was an adventure, since I had a bad case of the munchies and had to get through the store without buying a bunch of crap. I got in line, and waited, and waited some more. I felt beads of sweat gather on my forehead. Fortunately, about the time I was thinking about getting out of line to go through the chip aisle, the line started moving. I got out with only a cup of banana chips extra. I got home and ate lunch, then had to have a nap. I finally got up and started cooking about 2:30.

I put the dip together, and then decided I wouldn’t have time to put my casserole together, but I went ahead and stewed up the squash, since that is the time-consuming part. I washed my TR shirt so I could wear it, and cleaned up the kitchen (making this dip is very messy – plus I had added a layer of fakin’ bacon bits in honor of James, who is a baconaholic). Dinner was supposed to start about 6. I got in the car on the dot of 5:30. I got halfway there, and then remembered that I was supposed to bring tequila for margaritas. I remembered everything but that. I called Justin (James wasn’t answering his phone), but ultimately made the executive decision not to turn back. I was ready to get there and relax, and really drinking margaritas on a Sunday afternoon probably wasn’t the best idea for me anyway.

When I got to James and Jeff’s house, they were working on supper, but we weren’t close to eating yet. I popped the dip in the oven, and we snacked on that and some homemade pico de gallo while they finished up. The dip was a big hit, and well worth the trouble to make. I won’t make that just for me though; I have to have a gathering to inspire me to that pain.

Justin brought the little sandwich glass set he and Amanda found last week. He told me his grandmother could use the cream and sugar that went on it, and I sent them on to her with my compliments. I don't know what I'll do with the little tray, but it sure is pretty.

9 1/4" handled sandwich glass cream and sugar tray in crystal by Indiana Glass. This pattern was made from 1925 up through 1985! This is the picture of my actual tray. Amanda took it and it was so pretty I just posted it.

I had brought some old Mystery Science Theater 3000 movies, and we watched some of them while we ate and visited. I had a really nice time.

I left about nine, when they were preparing to watch TV. I needed to get home and hit the hay. Another week starts tomorrow.

No comments: