Sunday, July 5, 2009

A post in which I am once again in the kitchen**

I woke up early again this morning, and hit the internet. I started talking to a guy who was also an early riser, and ended up going to see him. I almost never found his place, but I eventually did. We had an enjoyable little visit, after which I was hungry. I went by Hardees and indulged in a very indulgent breakfast, then slept for a while.

When I woke up and decided to skip the flea market today. There wasn’t going to be anything good there, I had spent quite enough time outside thank you, and I didn’t need any more produce. I did, however, have plenty of cooking to do. I switched out a load of laundry, and started moving stuff around in the fridge. I had to switch things into smaller bowls to make room, etc.

I turned on Happy Feet and listened to that while I started working on my concept dish for the week. Using a recipe I found on the internet, I turned out some fair chimichurri. It isn’t as good as what they have at Latin Express, but it was pretty good for a first try. I then cooked up some cut up red jacket potatoes, boiled some eggs, chunked up some leftover ricotta salata from last week, and cooked up some fake chicken. I mixed that with chopped celery and spring onions, and then dressed it with my chimichurri. It made a nice little “whole meal” salad I can take for lunch this week. I had intended just to make a potato salad dressed with the chimichurri, but that would have required making something to go with it. I decided just to add some stuff and make it a whole meal salad.

I made some hot dog chili to go with my leftover veggie dogs and slaw for dinner this week. I usually just eat salad, or scraps and leftovers for supper. I haven’t actually made anything to eat in the evening for a while. When the chili was done, I cleaned up my once again destroyed kitchen and then ate some hot dogs for lunch. I was thinking about Russ and Billy since the Korean pickles (there were some left over, and I ate some for lunch today) are Billy’s favorite, and Russ loves my hot dog chili. I thought about inviting them over to eat tonight, but remembered they aren’t back in town until Tuesday.

After lunch, I straightened up the house a bit, and then cleaned myself up. I had been in touch with a couple of friends about going over there this afternoon, and it just ended up that the schedules fell into place. About the time I got finished with the house stuff, they were free.

I went by their place and spent the afternoon with them. We hung out, smoked and talked, and listened to music, among other things. Eventually I left though, because it was supper time, and I was ravenous. I went home, made a huge sloppy joe out of the rest of the foccacia bread, homemade chili and slaw, and ate like a starved wolverine. I topped that off with two pieces of chocolate pound cake from the freezer and collapsed in the bed, completely sated. I’m pretty much completely ready for work next week. That’s a good feeling.

No comments: