Thursday, July 2, 2009

A post in which I go on an unexpected, but late date*

The office was pretty quiet today. Most everyone was already gearing down for the holiday, except for one bitch in the California office, but I managed to get her pretty much straightened out.

After work, I had nothing to do tonight. I had planned on reading my book, but got sucked into the Manhunt vortex.

I started talking to a guy named Joey. I had talked to him about a year ago, but for some reason we never ended up meeting. I was enjoying talking to him, and eventually just asked him if he wanted to go get some coffee. I had already heated up my leftover Indian from the night before, and kind of had my heart set on eating that at this point. He agreed to come down and walk downtown. This was about 7:30.

I was really glad I went ahead and ate. It was about 9:15 by the time he got to the house. We talked a bit, and by the time we got downtown, all the coffee places were closed. I took him across the footbridge at Reedy River Falls, which he had never seen before, and we walked down into the park, found an empty bench, and talked for a while.

It was a gorgeous evening, the darkness soft and humid. The greenery was lush and full, and all around was the sound and smell of water. There were tons of people in the park – even this late. There were kids rolling around in the grass, and several couples hanging out as we were. Unfortunately, the mosquitoes were out in force as well. We made out for a bit, and headed back to the house.

I ran by Blockbuster to get a movie, but they were closed as well, so he just picked out a movie from my collection. I hadn’t seen Black Dahlia before, but had won it at a party a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the movie sucked. For some reason, the boxing careers of the police involved in the mystery were chronicled in endless and loving detail, as was the love triangle between two cops and the girlfriend of one of them. I couldn’t figure out what any of this had to do with the murder, but the plot was basically swamped by the myriad of intricate sub-plots. Eventually we just gave it up and went to bed. Not that I’m complaining about that, mind you.

He’s a nice guy. We had a good time.

No comments: