Saturday, July 11, 2009

A post in which I waste the day

Today was the day I was going to breakfast with Jeanette at Latin Express. We were meeting there at 8am. Only two problems with that: first, they don't open until 10am on the weekends; and second, they were closed all day today for repairs. Bummer. We ended up going over to Gene's. Just as well, neither Jeanette nor her daughter had been, and Gene's is a Greenville institution.

After breakfast we went back over to the "farmer's market" they're hosting every Saturday this summer downtown. It was nice enough - pretty much what I was expecting. There was some good stuff, and a lotta crafty crap. Most of the prices weren't that good. I did find some Cherokee Purple tomatoes, but by the time we got to them they pretty picked over. I picked out the nicest one for Jeanette since she'd never had one, and got another for myself that was kind of OK. It still tasted great.

I invited them to go over to White Horse Road with me, but they had other stuff and had to go. I thought seriously about not going, but there was nothing else I felt like doing right that minute, so I thought I may as well go stroll around. Which I did.

I didn't really need any produce, and didn't really expect to find any glass. But I kind of did. I was walking by a table, and thought I recognized a pitcher. There were a lot of little square pitchers made in the 50's, but this one was a Star pitcher. I was kind of tickled that I'd recognized what it was, courtesy of Justin's continued extended loan of his 40's, 50's, and 60's book. But it was clear, and not my era. I ran my finger over the spout more out of habit then anything else - if a pitcher is going to be chipped, that's usually where you find it. I was pleased to find that this one wasn't chipped. The woman was talking, but I wasn't really listening. I was about to wander off, when the words sunk in "That's one dollar," she had said. I double-checked, and I had heard right. "I know what it is," she said "But I've got so much stuff I'm just trying to clear some out." OK, for a dollar, I pretty much couldn't leave it. So I bought it.

7" 64oz. "Star" pitcher in crystal by Federal Glass Company. The circa dates I find online just say "1950's". Believe it or not, I couldn't find a decent picture of the bottom of this pitcher - where the pattern is. You'll just have to take my word for the fact that there's a big pretty 5-pointed star on the bottom.

I came home and wanted to take a nap, but couldn't. I had to go get my hair cut. I went up to the shop to see Russ. He was taking pictures of my hair for his MySpace page. He gave me a really excellent cut today - not that he doesn't always, but I really thought today's cut was better than usual. He and Billy were going to Charlotte tonight, which left me up in the air. Which was fine.

Michael had called and invited me out to Easley, but I wasn't feeling particularly sociable.

I got home, turned on a Harry Potter move marathon, ate some lunch (a lovely Cherokee Purple tomato sandwich - the only way to properly enjoy them IMHO), and took a nap. When I got up, I was hungry, so I went ahead and made some dinner. I wanted a pizza, but the next up to be eaten was some store-brand that wasn't very good. But I had some vegetables in the fridge. I ended up adding thinly-sliced summer squash (my ex got me hooked on squash and zucchini on pizza - it's surprisingly good), fresh tomato, onion, and some mozzarella cheese. When it came out of the oven I topped it with sliced avocado. It ended up being pretty decent.

Russ and Billy changed their minds, and called me later. They asked me to go to dinner with them, but I had already eaten. Instead, I just met them over at their place afterwards and we hung out and visited. I hadn't really spent any time with them since SELF, so it was good to hang out for a while.

No comments: