Monday, July 1, 2013

A post in which work is killing me

At first, it seemed like it would be an ordinary day.  I came in to close the month.  It wasn't quarter end.  It is a short week this week, but I figured I would have things pretty much under control.  Oh how mistaken I was.

The first thing I do at month end is pull agings.  I couldn't get into the Canadian system.  It is Canada Day.  The whole office was out, and they shut down the entire system for maintenance.  No reports were coming out.  I couldn't even pull an aging.  That was a pisser. 

Then I noticed that Jeffrey was unresponsive.  Apparently his grandmother died last week.  Funeral processes are quite extensive in Manila, and he won't be back in the office until Wedensday.  Presentations are due in on Friday.  Grrrr. 

I started working on the weekly reports and presentation myself.  We are supposed to have written procedures in place on how to complete reports, but the weekly slides change about once a month.  It is almost impossible to keep up with all the changes if you're not actually preparing the reports - which no one in my office is doing.  I reached out to the supervisors of the various departments for help, only to find that most of them had no idea how their accounts were divided into factions - their own accounts, mind you.  GRRRRRR.

So I started fighing that battle.

By the end of the day I was disgusted, frazzled, and discouraged.  I went home to re-group.

I talked to Logan today about driving his car back from Savannah.  He admitted that the master plan was a suprise to him, but said he was OK with it.  I talked to Rhonda and she's OK too.  So all that remains is to firm up the leaving date with Russ.  They're going down either Wednesday night or Thursday morning.  I definitely want to go down Thursday morning, even if we lose half the day.  The rationale for going down Wednesday night is that Russ won't get out of bed early enough to go.  He is quite a slugabed.  But if we have to lose half the day so be it.  With the way this week is shaping up, it would be WAY too stressful to have to be ready to leave after work on Wednesday.

No comments: