Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A post in which the torture continues

So after a night of stress-induced insomnia, I got up and got ready for work.  I dreaded it, but at least I knew what was coming today.

Canada was back up.  I was able to pull an aging, and the reports started flooding in.  In between doing the reserveres I did as much as I could on the weekly reports, did my slides on the US monthlies, and prayed that Jeffrey would be back tomorrow.  I had a meeting with my boss today, during which I explained to him that one man in Manila was apparently running the entire department.  I also explained that the US short form was due Friday, and that I was worried I wouldn't be able to take my day off on Friday, but he assured me that I could. 

One of the new revenue streams, that I thought was sorted, is still screwed up.  No one here (including the VP in that area) has a clue how to report that portion independently.  They'll have to write a new report for that.  In another area, I sent an email to that manager and my boss, basically telling them that they needed to come to an agreement about how to report yet another revenue stream diversification.

Then I turned my attention to yet another problem area.  The manager of this department has formally been rather a pet of mine.  He's good-looking, personable, and up until this point has seemed relatively compitent in my dealings with him.  Until today.  He (and as previously reported, this is not unique) has no idea how the accounts in his own area are split out for reporting purposes.  I basically sent him a combined aging and told him to sort it out.  He told me that he did, but his split of accounts didn't balance to the overall total for his area. FOUR times today.  And this after I repeatedly explained to him that all the parts had to add up to the whole.  Now part of this was that he started out trying to use another report to balance to mine, but even after he started using what I sent him, he failed to re-add the split to make sure it totaled correctly before sending it to me yet again!  He was making me nuts with that today.  By the end of the day, one of his reports balanced, and the other still did not.  I sent it back to him, and when I got his out-of-office reply, I left.  After all the stress of the last two days there was no way I was hanging around to work on problems the managers themselves handle with blithe indifference.

By the end of the day, I no longer felt that I was at sea.  I have a handle on things.  I have gotten a lot done, and with the work I've done, we should be able to get the month back on line tomorrow if all goes as it should.  So I don't feel as crazy as yesterday.  I am just frustrated with the people here that can't manage their own fucking areas.

At this point, I'm just hoping that Jeffrey will be back tomorrow, and that I'm able to take my days off.  That's what is strengthening my flagging hold on sanity at this point. 

I found out today that Russ is refusing to go to Savannah on Thursday.  They're leaving Wednesday night without fail, so I told them to go down without Rhonda and me.  I would have loved to spend the time with them (not to mention sharing the driving), but there is just no way I want to be on the road half the night tomorrow.  I called Rhonda and talked to her about it tonight.  She understands. 

No comments: