Sunday, July 21, 2013

A post in which I get some things done

It was a fairly lazy Sunday. 

Since I hadn't bought any fruit yesterday, I got up and ran over to the White Horse Road flea market.  I found some nice peaches there, and picked up some other produce.  I ran by the store for a couple of things on the way home, and picked up a loaf of discount sourdough bread.  The day-old section (which they don't have at Publix, because they make their day-old bread into croutons) is one of the few reasons I go in BiLo any more. 

I got home and decided to use up some fancy cheese that needed to be used in making cheese toast this morning.  It was a sharp cheese with dates and nuts in it.  Although it was good, it did not melt, so I literally had 'toasted cheese' on my bread.  Still, it was tasty.  I finished off the repast with a single doughnut I had picked up at the store.  After wanting one for the last two weeks, I finally just decided to break down and have the damn thing.

After breakfast, I taped off the hearths and faux finished them.  I did a bit of laundry and played on the computer a little.  I had decided to take tomato sandwiches for lunch this week, and the boys had left cucumbers for me Friday night; I'll throw together a quick cucumber salad for a side. There was no cooking to do today. 

After a while, I decided to check in with the boys on what they were doing this afternoon, but apparently they had partied hard the night before at the Edge, and were staying in this afternoon. 
I put a coat of acrylic on the hearths, and laid around for a while.

 Eventually, I got hungry.  I was going to have to get cleaned up to go to the store, and I wanted some company.  I didn't want to stay in.  So I got in touch with Rhonda.  She was free, and agreeable.  So I got cleaned up and went to get her.

We ended up going back to Tupelo Honey Cafe.  They have a veggie burger they make in-house that I want to try, but I was lured away tonight by a veggie melt sandwich.  It was pretty good, but something I could have made at home.  The surprise hit of the meal was the tofu 'wings'.  They were delicious!  It was the second-best tofu I have ever eaten.  Rhonda had some sesame asparagus (which wasn't sesame enough for her, but then few things are) on a veggie plate, and overall she seemed pleased with her meal.

Since we had already had one rain today (about the time I was thinking I should shift my worthless bulk and mow the grass - saved by the bell) I hadn't taken an umbrella to dinner.  As it turned out, that was a mistake.  As we walked back to the car (one of the reasons I seldom eat downtown is the forced hike to parking), it began to spot, and then to rain lightly.  I was afraid we wouldn't make it to the car before the bottom fell out, but we did.  We got wet, but were pretty much none the worse for wear. 

I dropped Rhonda, and really needed to go to the store, but I didn't want to do it in the rain.  I decided I could do that tomorrow.  I headed for home, did a few little odds-and-ends chores, and turned in. 

No comments: