Sunday, July 14, 2013

A post in which I still have a visitor*

I slept better than I thought I would, and woke up not feeling too badly.  After some canoodling around, we went to breakfast.  We went to Stax Omega this morning, and because we were early, I again enjoyed good luck with seating.  The omelets they make are amazingly delicious, and I suspect I know why.  They use some kind of artificial butter-flavored grease to cook them in (Waffle House and Huddle House do the same - I think the highter temperature, coupled with an intense egg whipping, yields that impossibly high loft).  That was confirmed today.  I try not to think about what they cook the eggs in.  I rationalize that their omelets are a 'sometimes' food and just enjoy the flavor.  But today when mine came and I pressed on it, there was this bubble of yellow grease that came out.  Ew.  I engaged my Southern Power of Denial and ate it anyway, and it tasted as good as ever.  But ew. 

So Tom was just prepared to stay.  I was a bit at a loss of what to do with him all day (um, to put it delicately, I wasn't inclined to another sheet-romp), so after breakfast we headed up to Barnyard Flea Market.  I meant to get some peaches yesterday, but in all the running around had forgotten.  It had rained (of course) during breakfast, but Barnyard is the default flea market for rain, and it looked like it was going to clear up.  Plus it was something I wanted to do, and would eat up some time.  Off we went.

It turned out to be a pretty good flea market day.  I got a new belt-holder for my new phone.  I found some glass too.  One of the vendors who usually has his stuff priced too high had some good deals on offer today.  I bought the wrong piece (I was flying naked - since I hadn't planned to go I was sans backpack and therefore without my field guide), but it was the one I wanted.  It also gives me an excuse to go back next week to see if the others are still there...


Windsor "Diamond" 16oz milk pitcher in crytal by Jeannette Glass, circa 1936-1946

I got produce, and we walked around.  The weather improved and people started to pack in about the time we left.

By the time we got back to my place, we were both ready for a nap.  It clouded over again, and I pulled the blinds and put in a movie.  Then Tom asked if I would wash some clothes for him.  Now he had just driven up from his home yesterday, and I'm thinking "What, you brought dirty clothes with you?"  But I washed them.  Meh, I had some new socks that I wanted to wash anyway.  That involved getting my clothes out of the dryer, etc.  I did the cat box and got cleaned up.  About the time I put the clothes in the dryer and got ready to shower, Tom woke up.  I figured he would be hungry, and he was.  While he showered, I folded his clothes and put them on his bag. 

When he offered to follow me to lunch, I was relieved.  I had run around all day yesterday, and today was my 'day off'.  He was a really nice guy, but I just hadn't counted on him being there all weekend.  After washing his clothes and all, I had no qualms about letting him pick up the check for lunch.

I ran by the grocery store, and then home.  I played with my new phone, getting 'moved in', and had a buddy come by for a short visit.  Since I had eaten a huge lunch (it was a buffet, I didn't stick Tom with a big check) I didn't need a lot of supper.  I had a bowl of ice cream, and some fancy bread I had at the house with butter.  I mainly just relaxed and was indolent until time for bed. 

No comments: