Sunday, July 7, 2013

A post in which it is the long road home*

I slept pretty well.  Better than I thought I would.  When I woke up, folks were already stirring.  It was the start of another pretty day (aside from spits of rain, we've had unusually pretty weather for the trip), but I really felt like I needed to get moving.  I don't travel light, and had stuff strewn all over the house to gather up.  I'd had the foresight to get my toiletries out of the bedroom last night so I could get ready this morning, and proceeded to do so.  Rob was up in time for me to get all the stuff out of the bedroom.

The rest of the gang were going to the flea market today, which has become another tradition, but the traffic back after a holiday weekend is always awful.  I wanted to get out in time to beat it, and hopefully have a little downtime before I had to go to bed. 

About the time I was ready to mobilize, Miss Kat and Dana were up.  We decided to go for breakfast on our way out of town.  Since we'd had such a good experience yesterday, we just went back to Perkins.  It was just as nice today, and I really enjoyed nabbing some more time with them.  Miss Kat allowed me to buy breakfast for them.  I am always trying to find ways to do a little something for them.  Miss Kat has mentored me through so much garbage in my head, and they were so good to me during treatment.  Dana has always been gracious about sharing Miss Kat time with me.  I feel like I owe them more than I can ever re-pay, but they usually won't allow me to do anything for them in return.  It was especially nice to be able to do that today. 

And then we hit the road.  Ugh.  The traffic, always bad, was worse today.  The wrecks apparently started early, and things slowed to a crawl.  Mile after mile I spent creeping along, bumper to bumper.  I thought once I got off of highway 95 it would get better, but the back-up on 95 actually proceeded onto the exit and around onto highway 26.  It was excruciating, but there was nothing to do but wait.  A four hour drive took six and a half hours.  Boy was I GLAD to be home. 

So I had been playing with my phone because the traffic was so vile.  A guy I've been chasing for some time hit me up when I got home.  I had just finished unpacking, cleaning up the (epically loaded) catbox and destroyed bathroom, and stepped out of the shower when I got the all clear to come see him.  There was (yet another) storm moving in, which squicked my phone AND the computer out, but when I got there it was completely worth it. 

Afterwards, I was pretty relaxed.  I had felt the tension coming back on the drive home, but it was a really great end to a nice vacation.  I got home, made a smakerel of supper, and gratefully turned in. 

No comments: