Friday, July 19, 2013

A post in which it is Friday

It was an interesting morning.  An movie I saw as a child popped into my head today, and I decided to see ifMidnight Madness.  It came into my head because I had downloaded the title song (which was no great hit - there's a reason you have never heard of it) into iTunes years ago.  The entire movie was on Youtube!  So I watched it while I got ready this morning.  I suspect the only reason it was preserved is that a very young Michael J. Fox plays the 'troubled younger brother'.  The movie itself was a vehicle for David Naugton (of Dr. Pepper fame) - there's a reason you never heard of the movie either.  It wasn't very good.  But it wasn't as bad as I remembered, is still disco-tastic, and I watched it with nostalgia. 
I could find any of it online.  It is called

Work went pretty smoothly, and I sailed through the twit meeting pretty much unscathed.  The month is on track, and I'm good.  I got paid today, and my beautiful new mouse pad came in the mail.

After work I had made plans to see Rhonda.  Hadn't seen her since last Saturday, and I had a purse Larney wanted me to take her.  We went to eat at Kannika's Thai Kitchen, and unfortunately my food wasn't very good.  It was a special that wasn't actully so special after all.  Meh.  It happens. 

After supper, we ran by the hardware store for me to pick up things to faux finish the hearths with.  I have that new glass cabinet I want to put over the one in the living room, and I have to paint the hearth now, or I never will.  I've only lived in the house for fifteen and a half years.  When we got there though, all the colors were calling to me.  At fist I was thinking sage green, but I had to have something that matched the bedroom ceiling.  Then I thought about a brick red, but I wanted something that would go with the burgundy rugs in the bedroom but not clash with the orange/melon in the living room.  It was clear that I would have to get paint chips to decide on a color.  So we ended up leaving empty-handed.

To make up for the lack-luster dinner, we decided to go for dessert.  Rhonda (amazingly) really didn't want ice cream, so we went over to Whole Foods.  Now that sounds like a strange choice, but they do have an amazing (if quite pricey) bakery.  My goal tonight was to get some macarons.  Now the macaron is THE hot pastry right now, and after reading about them (they are apparently pretty difficult to make), and watching them being made on Master Chef the other week (they bounced the cute bear guy out of the competition) I was keen to try some.  They are basically little layered sandwich cookies that are a cross of marshmallow and a miringue.  Unsurprisingly, they are not cheap.  I got several flavors, Rhonda picked out some dessert, and we repaired to the boys house for dessert.  The macarons were pretty good, I have to say, and I'm toying with trying to make some now. 

We turned on the telly for dessert, and there was the movie Valley Girl (apparently it is my day for nostalgic movies.  Rhonda likes that movie too, so we contentedly watched, munched, and marvelled that such a movie really wasn't made as a satire at the time - they were perfectly serious.  It also proves that Nicholas Cage, while insane, is almost irresistable on screen.  

So it was a lovely evening with my best girl Rhonda.

I was tired.  When I got home, Jinx had pulled a Linda Blair all over the kitchen counters (her new thing) because her supper was so late, presumably.  There was cat vomit everywhere.  I really, really freakin' hate that, but there was no choice.  I cleaned it up and headed for bed.   

No comments: