Saturday, July 13, 2013

A post in which I have a visitor*

So I spent the day running around.

Rhonda has been in a funk lately, so I got in touch with her this morning.  I thought that an offer of breakfast at the new Tupelo Honey Cafe might tempt her out, and happily I was right.  It has been open a couple of week, we were a little early, and the weather (of course continues to be ugly).  I had hoped that might mean we could get near the place, and it worked.  We walked in and were seated - bonus!  Now the menu had been mouth-watering online, and I wasn't sure what to order.  I finally settled on the crab scramble (I was being bad - I'm probably going to get sushi tonight, but it sounded so good I just couldn't resist).  The food was a mixed bag.  I was a little disappointed I have to say.  Rhonda's biscuit wasn't cooked through so it was all gummy and doughy inside.  Mine was cooked through (just) and good, but unremarkable.  The blueberry compote they brought to go with it, though was spantaculous.  The scramble itself was GREAT - big chunks of premium crabmeat, fresh asparagus, the eggs perfectly done.  The sourdough toast (a house specialty) was a bit chewy - it had been made for too long.  I asked for some hollandaise, which I expected that they made there, and it was pretty bad.  The coffee was delicious, and tasted as if it was made by the cup.  Rhonda said hers was a mixed bag too.  It could be opening-up issues.  There are other things I want to try, and I'll go back, but it wasn't a rave.  But it did get Rhonda out of the house, and we had a nice visit.  I caught her up on Savannah. 

Afterwards I ran her by the post office, and we went to the Marshall Home Store because she had a gift card for there, but neither of us found anything we wanted.  We walked down to Ross, because it was right there.  Rhonda wanted to buy some speakers, and I have been meaning to buy some, so we looked.  They had them, but didn't have any names I had ever heard of.  I picked up a set for $6 - it is amazing how cheap electronics are now.  (But sadly, they were craptastic when I got them home.) 

Next we ran up to Best Buy to pick up an SD card.  When we got to the car, it seemed to go in crooked.  Rhonda realized that the old SD card was actually still in the phone, but for some reason it was refusing to read it.  Weird.  Nonetheless the phone is now at least fully functional.

I dropped Rhonda at home, and went back to my place to get ready to have company.  I fooled around with my phone some.  I figured out that the computer (using the adapter Billy gave me) would read the old SD card, and successfully moved the pictures off of it, into the computer, and onto the new SD card.  So I got them back into the new phone.  I was pretty proud of that.  I did more laundry and changed the sheets, etc.  By the time I had the house straightened up and showered, Tom was there. 

Tom is a really nice guy.  He's good looking.  He's a great big ole guy, and he has nice fur.  We greeted each other enthusiastically (we've been talking online for years) and then decided to head out for dinner.  We went to Irashiai.  He said that he really liked sushi, but was surprisingly unfamiliar with some pretty basic Japanese/American dishes.  But he enjoyed everything and we had a nice meal. 

When we left the restaurant, I asked him if he wanted to go over the RBL's for a bit.  They were having game night, and he had mentioned that he wanted to go out and do something tonight, but he didn't seem interested, and we went on back to the house. 

When we got to the house, he just carried his stuff on in.  Now we hadn't really discussed him staying over (I had specifically asked about hotel info, and he was pretty vague), but he HAD driven all the way up from Charleston (although he had to come up anyway, he had come a day early) and I decided just to go with the flow.  I wasn't particularly thrilled with his staying.  Having the bed to myself is one of the perks of being single, and one that I enjoy - plus did I mention he is a BIG ole guy?  And kinda sweaty. 

When I went in the bathroom when he got done, it was also kind of a wreck.  But I straightened it up.  Then I walked into the bedroom to find him kind of spread out on the bed.  I asked him to skooch over, and although he did, he was not happy about it.  We settled in to sleep. 

No comments: