Saturday, July 20, 2013

A post in which I see James, and get bad news from Gary

So I was up and at 'em this morning.  Gary wasn't coming until tomorrow, so I had the whole day to get things done instead of having to get ready for Gary.  I decided to start at the flea market.  I called Rhonda, got her up, and we headed for breakfast first (we were both hungry) at Landmark Diner

When we got to the flea market, the glass that I found last week was still there, but both pieces were chipped, and since I already had one of them, and wasn't wild about the other, I left those for others to find.  There is a hex optic whisky glass up therer that I really do like, but the woman has it priced at twice book value on it, and I won't pay that.  I settled for some tomatoes that looked good.  I also picked up a Little Jewel bowl that I ran across by accident.  It is clear, but it was very cheap, and I just can't resist that pattern. 

On the way back, we stopped at the hardware store - where against every inclination in me, I purchased black and white paint to faux finish the hearths.  I decided to go with something completely neutral, and this is an effect I have done before, years ago. 

I dropped Rhonda off, went home, ate a small smakerel of lunch, and took a nap.  When I woke up, I started getting ready to put the base coat of paint on.  About the time I was finishing moving stuff and wiping everything down, the phone rang.  It was James and Trey.  They had been to Columbia for the morning, and were headed home.  They wanted to know if I could come by, and I said yes.  I don't see James that often, and even though the house is a wreck, he wouldn't care, and I wanted to see him.  Besides, after all the painting he has done at the house, it isn't as if he has never seen it torn up. 

They got there just as I finished the base coat.  We hung out and talked while I finished up and got cleaned up, and then went up to dinner at Corona.  The food was delicious as always, and it was so good to see them.  I really enjoyed supper, and spending some time with them. 

When we got back from dinner, they left for home, and I had dessert.  I ate a bowl of ice cream out of my new bowl to officially claim it as mine, and then headed for bed.

I had a message from Gary about 2pm today, telling me that he has to go to Ohio tomorrow.  His Dad is in the hospital, and that it is serious enough that his sister called him to come home.  His dad hasn't spoken to him since his parents threw him out of the house for being gay.  His mother died without ever speaking to him again.  So he's headed home not knowing if his dad will be alive when he gets there, or if he will even speak to him.  My heart hurts for him, but I don't know what to do except be there to talk to if he needs me. 

No comments: