Friday, July 5, 2013

A post in which it is vacation*

Ah, glorious vacation.  The sweet surcease of toil that is all too rare.  I woke up today prepared to be a soap bubble.  As it turned out though, the fates had other things to strew in my path first. 

My smart phone is working just fine.  I was hooked in to the wi-fi and getting all my notices.  I have to say that the Savannah natives were both welcoming and appriciative.  Shortly after I awoke this morning I had a message from one of them to come visit, so I did.  Lovely.  A very nice way to start the day. 

When I got back to the house, Rob was up and Izzie had been delivered.  I sat down with Rob and Izzie for a bit for some quiet time.  Izzie was up, though, and ready to roll.  She wanted an apple, but she couldn't have one until Rob washed it, and he seemed most disinclined to move.  So I just got up and washed it for her.  When I handed it to her, she thanked me.  I was quite surprised.  Kids now just don't say thank you, and she's only 5!  I complimented her on her manners. 

By the time Billy got up I was pretty hungry.  I decided to take matters into my own hands and decided to make some breakfast.  Jo Ann doesn't eat left-overs, so I know that anything from dinner last night was up for grabs.  I made some toast and did a scramble with onions, broccoli, cheese, and some of the rice, which made for a surprisingly good textural element. Rob kind of hovered all around me while I was cooking, which was getting on my nerves, but I got it done.  After scrambling Izzie an egg, the four of us sat down and had a nice breakfast.  Afterwards, I was scrupulous about cleaning up.  Jo Ann is even more OCD about the kitchen being spotless than I am. 

We hung out, watched TV, and waited for Russ to get up.  And waited.  And waited.  Sleeping Beauty finally made his entrance around 1:30.  I was glad that I had gone ahead and eaten breakfast.  Jo Ann was up shortly after.  Apparently they both had been up most of the night.  So after some discussion, we decided on shopping.  But first, lunch.  Jo Ann always lays in enough food to feed an army, so there was plenty at the house to eat.  We did ham and cheese sandwiches (mine sans ham) and chips.  Afterwards we got dressed and headed for the stores.

The shopping trip has kind of become a tradition on the Savannah trip. They have a great Tuesday Morning down there that always has cool stuff, and there's a big Home Store we usually hit too.  I didn't have anything in particular I was looking for today, but I picked up a puzzle for Izzie, since she was looking for one earlier that wasn't at the house any longer.  I also picked up a 10" ceramic non-stick sautee pan (I have despaired of finding one of the down market GreenPans from Target in the regular size - I have a big one, a small one, and a wok, but not the standard 10" size, aggravatingly).  I don't know how it will work, but it is sparkly blue on the outside and is marked POFA free, plus it was a great price, so I am game to try. 

After that we made a stop at the grocery store.  Apparently Jo Ann was upset because we had eaten part of the cheese for lunch, and it had to be immediately replaced (no, there was no plan for it, she just wanted it replenished).  We picked up a few things and then headed back to the house.  Miss Izzie had charged Russ with finding her some colored marshmallows, but they apparently don't make them except at Easter.  He picked up some others to try to appease her - she is not thrilled with them at the mo. 

After we got back to the house, it was time for them to get ready to go downtown to meet Lee and Joel.  They had planned to go out to The Lady and Sons tonight.  This was partially a show of solidarity with Paula Deen - Russ is way in her corner, but I think it was also partially because those restaurants are part of the national focus at the moment.  They're kind of the place to be.  Because we were right there, I think he just wanted to go and be a part of it in some way.  The idea of it is exciting, but I knew it would be a mob scene (which is definitely not my scene).  I've heard that the food there isn't spectacular.  Plus, I come to Savannah to spend time with Jo Ann and Rob, hang out at the house, and take some time out of time.  Jo Ann really loves to have everyone come, and attendance was low this year.   It just fit with my natural inclination and social calling to stay home.  So I did.  I can see Joel and Lee (who are sweet guys, don't get me wrong) every week in Greenville. 

So Jo Ann, Rob, and I repaired to the porch, ordered a pizza, and settled in for some quiet time together.  It was quite nice.  We ate and talked.  I don't spend a lot of time with them when the boys aren't around, so it was kind of a treat for me.  After dinner we went in the house and I sat with Izzie until her Mom came to get her.  She really is a sweet child. 

Miss Kat and Dana were on their way in tonight so we settled in to wait for them.  When they arrived I got to spend some time with them.  I haven't seen them in a couple of weeks, and I've been missing them.

But it was getting late.  There was no sign of the boys, and I had been up early.  I said my goodnights and turned in.  It was a long, good day. 

No comments: