Friday, June 1, 2012

A day in which I discover unexpected value*

Today was the food day and going away party for Shannon, a woman I worked with.  She's moving onwards and upwards.  We all brought in food.

I was up making sandwiches before I had my coffee.  I couldn't make them last night because I was afraid they would get soggy.  These were the ugliest finger sandwiches I have ever made, but I figured they would do the trick.  I was just terrified I was going to be late, but I got to the office on time.  I had a lot of irons in the fire today trying to close the month, but I got the reports to Manila so they could start their stuff, and I got a good start on my stuff, so it was a fairly productive day.

I wore my fabulous new salmon suede hi-tops to work today, in violation of the dress code.  I hadn't intended to do that, but just couldn't resist.  Sadly, Nancy, my shoe buddy, wasn't at work to properly appreciate them.  They are surprisingly comfortable.

All the sandwiches were eaten.  Because I they were so ugly, I had taken the time to get out a hand-thrown pottery platter to put them on, so they would at least be on a pretty plate.  It's a hand-thrown pottery platter that struck my fancy years ago.  I picked it up at the flea market for a couple of bucks.  I had been meaning to use it for a take-along platter for parties and stuff, but had never actually gotten around to using it until today (platters not exactly being in short supply at my house).  I got a lot of compliments on it today.  After I washed it and brought it back to my desk, Larney (who sits next to me) was really sitting there admiring it.  "If you're going to covet that, I'll give it to you." I told her.  "I didn't pay that much for it."  But Larney insisted on looking it up online.  It is signed, but I hadn't thought that much about it.  I figured someone's mother-in-law had bunged it out in ceramics class.

Surprisingly though, it was hand made by an artist named Kay Sheen in Seattle, Washington.  Ms. Sheen has her own website, called Frantic Art.  My quaint little platter sells for $42!  I was very surprised.  But then I do have an eye...  I sent Ms. Sheen a picture of me with the platter, letting her know it was out in the world being appreciated.

the beautiful hand-made platter I found at the flea market - who knew?

Speaking of having an eye, I also went to pick up my temple rubbing today.  It turned out gorgeous (which I suppose it should have, given the $$ I dropped having it framed, but you only go around once right?  Well, unless you are a Buddhist.), and I was very happy with it.  They attached the label from the old framing on the back, establishing that it is 20 years old and was actually purchased in Kathmandu, Nepal over 20 years ago.  So when it's on Antiques Roadshow long after I'm dead, they'll have some idea of the provenance. 

my beautifully re-framed temple rubbing - hmmm, maybe I'll move it to the living room...

When I got home I thought about calling Miss Kat and Dana, but I had seen them last Friday, and I'm trying to give them their space.  I know I'll be out a lot this weekend for Russ's birthday.  Plus I was tired.  It's been a long week, for a short one.  I went by Target on a whim.  I was going to see if they had any of the heather grey hoodies I want left on clearance, but no dice.  I also wanted to get Russ a birthday card, and I got Dad's Father's Day card.  I also ran across a perfect little present for Russ's birthday, so I picked that up.  But by the time all that was done my feet and legs were killing me.  I went on home and settled in for a quiet evening. 

Wandering around in the internet vortex though, I ran into a guy I had been talking to a while back and had lost contact with.  His name is Joseph.  He was in the neighborhood and inclined to drop by, so I invited him by to visit for a while.  It was great to see him, and we had a good time.

No comments: