Sunday, June 24, 2012

A post in which I spend the day in the kitchen*

Jason and I were up at a reasonable hour this morning, but we had taken sleeping pills the night before.  We both got a good night's sleep.  It's been so long since I slept with another person that I have problems with it usually, but with Jason, I didn't seem to have a huge problem.  Part of that is that he doesn't try to snuggle me when I'm trying to sleep.  I don't do well with that. 

After greeting the day in proper fashion, he showered up while I fixed coffee and got a start on breakfast.  He had to go see his dad today.  He had intended to leave much earlier, but ended up being at the house talking to me for a while after breakfast.  We were both reluctant for him to go.  But go he did, eventually.

I lazed around for a bit, but I had stuff I needed to do today.  I had put in some facon bacon bits to soak this morning (my own recipe), but was out of tamari, so I had to go to the store before I could start cooking in earnest.  I ran to Publix to pick up a few things, then got home and got down to business.

I made two quiches (fake Quiche Lorrain with some tomatoes added because I had so many in the house).  They turned out nicely, but the crusts were just torn all to pieces because I had dropped them this morning, ironically because I am always uber-careful to get them home quickly and intact.  Thawing and mooshing them back together before baking didn't seem to help much.

I also had the vegetables that Jason had brought to do something with.  They were pretty much on their last legs, so they needed to be used up today.  They stir-fried up pretty well, and I figured I would make some peanut sauce to go on them and just eat them with brown rice.  There were a surprising amount of vegetables in the bag though, and by the time I got the stir-fry done, I realized that I had made too much food for the week.  Stir-fry doesn't freeze well (although it can be done), but I thought I would check in with Billy to see if any of this largess would help them out. 

As it turns out, Billy was tickled with the idea of quiche, and invited me over.  They had a lot of salad stuff that people had brought by to help them out during his convalescence, which of course would go perfectly with quiche.

By the time the quiche finished baking, and I got cleaned up and ready to go, it was about supper time, and it was raining.  But I managed to get loaded up without too much trouble, and it wasn't raining on their side of town, so unloading was much less of an issue.

I chopped veggies for salad and fed the dogs while Billy sat down for a bit (I finally talked him in to doing that), and Russ and Logan got cleaned up.  They had been working in the yard today.

The movie tonight was Lars and the Real Girl.  I bought it a couple of weeks ago for cheap at the flea market and had been waiting to watch it with Logan, who also hadn't seen it and wanted to.  It was a surprisingly sweet movie.  I wish people were really like that.  Unfortunately, I can't see a real town rallying round in such a fashion.  I'm also not sure it would be good for a person suffering from delusions for everyone around them to reinforce that.  But it was a very interesting premise for a movie, and I thought Ryan Gosling did a brilliant job with the role (it probably didn't hurt that he is ravishingly gorgeous. I am such a man sometimes).  My heart was just breaking for him in the beginning, and he managed to make what could have been a creepy kinda guy endearing and lovable. 

I would have loved to stay and talk about the movie afterwards, but it was already well past my bedtime.  I headed home to turn in. 

No comments: