Saturday, June 23, 2012

A post in which it is Saturday with Jason*

Jason woke me up in the most lovely way this morning.  Would that I could wake up like that every day.

He came in yesterday with a bag of vegetables.  I had been under the impression that he grew them himself, but I found out today that he had acually purchased them from the local farmer's market.  I'm not sure, but I think they may be taking advantage of him.  The things he had were pretty old and not-so-fresh looking.  Nonetheless, I know that produce doesn't have to be perfect to be tasty.  I gamely pulled some o' the veggies out of the bag and whipped up a pan of sauteed veggies with cheese, eggs, and toast.  It was pretty tasty.  I had intended to make Quiche Lorraine today (with facon bacon bits), but by the time we got up and I factored in  the preparation of the ingredients and the baking of the quiche, it just seemed like too much time. 

After eating we both got ready to face the day, and then tried to decide what to do with it.  I got in touch with Justin, but he was gone to the beach.  Miss Kat and Dana were white-water rafting today (dying to know how that went).  Logan and Billy were home, and Russ was at work.  I had some errands I needed to run.

Eventually we just decided to run a few errands, have lunch, and then drop by to see Billy.

We ran by CVS, and by the library to drop off some books.  We couldn't decide what to eat for lunch.  I had originally decided we would go to Acropolis in Taylors, which has good food, nice servers, and is near Russ and Billy's house; but on the way there Jason told me he was going to beg off the visit to Billy to go see his dad. 

After re-calculating the route (we were already on the way) we ended up at Adams Bistro.  They have good sandwiches and I was in the mood for one.  I had been in the mood for a tuna melt (one of my favorite sandwiches ever) and they do a good one at Acropolis.  There is one on the menu at Adams also, but after seeing the Po Boy on the menu, I couldn't resist.  I loves me a Po Boy like a fat boy loves cake.  Plus the one on the menu was made with buffalo shrimp.  I mean I'm not made of steel.  I also had a side of their orzo pasta salad.  They have a way with orzo.  Jason had a salad, and he seemed to be pleased with it.  I had forgotten how good the food there was.

After lunch I gave in to temptation.  The SOS Thrift Store is near there, and I had been meaning to duck in there for a while now.  I had virtuously resisted going to the flea market or going antiquing today, so I felt as if I deserve some reward.  So we went in.  I had intended to just do a casual run-through, but Jason (as is frequently the case with people who don't usually visit such places) was pretty into the whole experience place.  We ended up spending a lot more time than I intended. 

Afterwards, I ran him back to the house, got the get well card (which I had forgotten) and ran through the store to get some flowers before heading to RBL's place.  Billy is sore, but seemed in good spirits, and appreciated the flowers.  I ended up vegging over there for a while, and watching the end of some awful 'romance' movie while we waited for Russ to get in from the shop.  Logan worked on some free-lance work for a while, and then Jason called to say he was free.  I had him meet me at their place.

We went to El Matador for supper, and the food was just as good as always. Jason rather led the conversation with a discussion of our personal favorite and worst movies, which was interesting. We all enjoyed it. Afterwards we went back to their place, stopping on the way for ice cream and chunk n' bake cookies for dessert. We watched Burlesque tonight. I hadn't seen it but had been meaning to. The numbers were really good, with the exception of Cher's ballad, which frankly didn't do much for me, as great as I think she is. Whenever I watch her now, I'm thinking Geez, she looks great to be 8,002. It's true, she does look great, even when you consider that she's the same age as my parents. She does use a lot of tricks though - the fringe, the airbrushed makeup (of which she was wearing a LOT), the wigs, the frantic professional backup dancers flailing all around her as she barely moves, etc - but still it's pretty amazing. During a lot of her scenes I was sitting there thinking about how much effort had to go into each one for lighting, posing, artful draping of hair, etc. Um as far as Christina Aguilara goes, well I can say that as an actress, she's a terrific singer. The story is pretty awful, but the musical numbers are fantastic. The cast is gorgeous, you just have to get past the bad acting, ridiculous premise, and wincingly bad dialogue. None of that is an issue for me - I love movies with built-in pee breaks. I'm just warning you.

By the time the movie was over, we were all ready for bed. Jason and I headed home ot turn in. It had been a long day, with a lot of running around for both of us.

No comments: