Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A post in which it is a bear dinner

The cat struggle (anarchy v. order) continues.  I rounded them up this morning.  I put Crooner up first, just because he came to hand first.  I usually try to catch Jinx first because I can catch her and then get him before he realizes what's going on.  Today it was just the opposite.  It took me just long enough to get her for him to realize he was shut in the green room.  Never mind that he's spent the whole last week in there.  Since he was shut in he wanted out.  He made a break for it, which resulted in me chasing him all over the house like a crazy person - I have to say I was quite surprised at some of the places he squoze into to get away from me - his fat is quite malliable.  I was trying to stay calm, although I had to get to work.  He isn't terribly bright, and all he knew was that his routine had been disrupted and now I was chasing him.  I finally cornered him under the dresser (in about 5" of space - he must have been flattened out like a pancake) and dragged him out with one leg.  Not pleasant for either of us, and certainly not calming for him.  He laid my finger open as I dumped him into the green room for the day.  Sigh.  Not the most auspicious way to start the day.

I got a message from Brian today, and we firmed up details for going to Anderson on Saturday to sell stuff at the Jockey Lot.  He is trying to get rid of stuff before they move (sigh again).  I'm going as much for the company as anything else.  I have stuff to get rid of, but honestly it isn't anything I think anyone would buy.  Still I'm always up for a trip to the flea market.  It should be interesting even if there isn't a terrible amount of profit. 

Tonight was the bear dinner on which I had finally stepped in and made an executive decision.  I did message the guy who had suggested the thing to start with since I hadn't heard from him.  I figured he was mad because I had taken over his thing, but honestly if the debate had continued I don't think there would have been a dinner at all.  I heard back from him later, and he wasn't mad (thank goodness) but he also wasn't coming.  This despite the fact that I chose a day he said he could come, and chose a venue from the area he had suggested (which involved a several block slog for me on my poor achin' feets).  Well crapitall then.  I thought screw it.  If I ended up having dinner downtown by myself it wouldn't be the first time. 

I also heard back from the boys today.  LBR would not be coming either.  I had two 'maybe's respond today.  When I got home I checked online to see if there were any other responses.  One guy had messaged me to find out if the dinner was still on (I suppose from the lack of responses).  I told him yes, but didn't expect him. 

I was wrong.  His name is Ron, and he and his partner Steve were the first ones to show up.  They relocated here from California about a year and a half ago, and were very nice guys.  Even though Ron is originally from Canada, he didn't talk me to death.  We ordered drinks and chips and were talking when Booboo and Ron showed up.  I hadn't counted on them because they were supposed to have eaten already, but it was good to see them, as always.  Booboo is always very flirty with me.  I'm sure he doesn't mean it, but it's good for my ego, particularly after being dumped all those times.  Rodney and David ran late, but it really didn't matter.  We were deep in drinks and conversation when they showed up.

The restaurant was Cantinflas, which I like, and which has veggie stuff (I figured since I was choosing, I may as well choose someplace that suited me).  I was a little disappointed that the rice was just plain white rice, and that the beans were just plain beans, but my enchiladas were good.  They are known for their guacamole and the margaritas are good too.  Because the weather was perfect I snagged a table on the patio; and because I was the first one there I got the best seat.  We had a prime view to people watch.

Despite the small number of people, I liked everyone there, and they all got along.  The conversation and company was good.  I enjoyed myself.  It was a nice evening.

No comments: