Thursday, June 21, 2012

A post in which I am becoming Ouiser

Apparently I am entering my proper state for southern menopausal womanhood.  I doubt that Shirley MacLain's character in Steel Magnolias sucked as much cock as I do (I make no speculation or estimate of the amount of wood that Ms. MacLain herself is in fact smoking at this stage of her life), but otherwise I'm pretty much living the role.

I was up early to slice and plate the brownies for the Cancer Center.  I had picked up some plates at the Dollar Tree a couple of weeks ago so I wouldn't have to use plastic or disposable (ew).  Since I was running a bit late for the extra errand I ended up packing up breakfast to eat at my desk later.  My chemo nurse, Cassie the angel, was working, and she got me back to the nurses area.  I brought the brownies today because it was Stacy's birthday.  She had vacillated on whether or not she wanted brownies until I finally just asked her what to do, and she told me to bring them today.  I had put it on my calendar so I wouldn't forget.  The problem was she was not at work today.  Well I tried.  The other nurses said that they would just celebrate without her, and would save her a couple of the brownies.

I went into work where I fended off a lot of complaints and interference today.  I have one particularly bitchy account that has gone on and on to the point that I've had to compose and delete several emails.  He tried to get around me by going to sales today, and they got one of our more obstructive managers involved in the situation.  I finally just ended up having to clean house of all the extraneous employees trying to get their fingers in my pie, and sent the account an email laying things out.

Jason was supposed to be back today, but I didn't hear from him as to ETA.  When I got in touch with him his plans had changed and he was coming tomorrow, which was fine. 

Billy had his back surgery today.  I was trying to stay on top of the situation, and fortunately Russ and Logan did a good job keeping me informed.  Since Jason wasn't coming tonight anyway, and I thought I might be of some use, I navigated the eterni-line at CVS, changed, and then headed for the hospital.

Billy seemed to be doing well.  He was lucid and didn't seem to be hurting a lot.  We visited for a mo, but Logan had been promised a trip to the local McDonald's for some Pokemon toys that they had as a premium at the mo, plus we needed some supper.  We repaired to Augusta Road, where we swung in to a Chinese restaurant called Oriental House.  I have a checkered past with the location, because the former restaurant that was there, Happy China, was oxymoronically named.  I was unlucky enough to purchase one of the worst Chinese meals I have ever eaten there.  But the location is under new ownership and has a different name now, so I was game. 

When we walked in, I immediately ran into my friend Kimberly and her husband Danny.  Danny is retired, but looks fantastic - younger than the last time I saw him.  Kim didn't have any makeup on.  She looked tired.  Still, it was good to see them, and I caught up with them a tiny bit before I went on to join Russ and Logan.  I had shrimp lo mein which was actually quite good, if a bit expensive for what it was. 

After supper we headed for the house to feed their dogs, and then back to the hospital.  By the time we did all that, I was pretty much wiped.  I just am so tired by the end of the day now.  I suppose it could be worse.

As I got into the bed, I got a text.  It was from a guy named Patrick.  He's in Asheville and I've been talking to him for a couple of months now.  We've been kind of gravitating towards meeting, but the distance is an issue for him.  Of course now that Jason says he's coming back, I'm not sure how to act towards Patrick.  But he's conspicuously gorgeous and charming.  I have been pussy-footing around talking to him all week, so tonight I finally called him and told him the T.  He was pretty good about it.

After all that, I was all in.  I turned on Sweet Genius, rolled over, and turned off.

No comments: