Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A post in which I see Dad

I was up early this morning with insomnia, but that as OK.  I had stuff to do.  I used the extra time whipping up the peanut sauce to go on my veggie stir-fry for lunches this week.  I still haven't made rice, but I had left-over quiche from Sunday for lunch today, so I was fine.

I had put Dad off last week.  Tuesday night just wasn't going to work, and the rest of the week one or the other of us was busy.  But Tuesday nights are dinner with Dad nights, and I made a resolution to see more of my ole man.  So it was doubly important that I go tonight.  Also, he has the investment house he bought that he wants to show me.  For an additional treat, Eve sent me a text to tell me they were taking me to a new place for dinner. 

The restaurant was called Bimini's Oyster Bar.  It used to be a premier restaurant called The Terrace back in the day.  When we pulled in the place was slammed. There was no parking, but Dad just parked in front of the door.  We got the last table (I assume Eve had called for reservations, as she is wont to do).  The place was packed and noisy, and the tables are really close together, so they may be victims of their own success.  But the food was good, particularly the 'famous' fried fish, which was served in short but very thick fillets, so it stayed very moist.  The service was slow because they were so packed and busy (on a Tuesday night yet), but when we got our salads the blue cheese dressing was the best I have eaten in a restaurant in many a day.  Usually it's just sour mayonniase, and I have almost given up ordering it, but I took the chance tonight and was glad I did.  The shrimp was a bit over-cooked (but had a good flavor), and the fries were a bit cool (ditto).  The crab cake was tasty.  There weren't huge chunks of crab in it, but it wasn't full of bread either.  Each of the types of seafood seemed to have it's own distinct preparation and flavor - unlike in a fish camp, where there is just a vat of 'breading' that everything seems to go in.  All in all, it was a good meal, although probably not some place that I would go without them.

I noticed (and Eve actually pointed out) that the clientele was pretty much all well-heeled looking white poeple of a certain age - kind of the just-pre-geriatric country club set.  I got the impression that this was the place to be seen for that demographic at the mo (slumming it at some place that still had a full bar), so I figured that was as much an attraction for her as the food.

She chattered about the wedding (*groan*), which is big on her priority list at the mo.  Judy's daughter is getting married, and they are having the reception at the house.  She is deep in preparations.  I didn't talk much.  It was so noisy that Dad really couldn't hear me, so anything I said was just a private aside to Eve, or had to be repeated ad nauseum. 

After supper we dropped Eve at the house to run an errand and Dad took me to his house to show it to me.  It is a nice little place, and will be much nicer when he gets through fixing it up.  The location is good too.  The house itself is pretty small, but gives on to an impressively large and pretty deck/patio and back yard.  He's proud of it, and he should be.  He also introduced me to the two very nice (and very cute) guys working on the house.  Woof.

We returned to the house shortly before Eve blustered back in.  We had mostly amicable visit.  They had a bit of a tiff, but had settled down before I left.  I hate to leave them fighting. 

I had gotten in touch with my friend Jeff today, because he's starting his own business.  My yard is once again approaching 'unkempt rain forest' mode - in part because of the monsoon rains we've had this summer so far.  I'm not up to keeping up with it.  I'm hoping that changes, but right now my hips, legs, and feet are just killin' me.  So I asked him to come help me out.  It's a win/win.  I get some stuff done that I really need done, and I help him out at the same time.  Dad and Eve heard me talking to him this evening about pressure washing, and they may hire him to do some of that at their house before the wedding.  So even better.

I left with a bag of doughnut peaches.  Eve offered me some because they were too sweet for her (I know) and I took them because I'm almost out of fruit.  Having a couple of peaches would save me a trip to the store on the way home.  When I went to get a couple though, they were just almost gone - squelchy, some of them rotten, others just on the verge of being too ripe.  Because she wasn't going to be there tomorrow to see to them, she just gave me the lot.  I picked through them, threw out the bad ones, and headed home.

There was a Chopped marathon on tonight, and though my satellite dish is still acting up (I am REALLY hoping that it's just the remains of Tropical Depression Debbie, and that I don't have to shell out more $$ to get DirecTV to come out and re-aim it), I could watch it.  So I tuned in and turned in.

No comments: