Saturday, June 9, 2012

A post in which it is a very long day

Today started early, as I had known it would.  The alarm went off at 6 and I got up to prepare for the day.  I made some coffee and started rounding stuff up to sell.  I only had an hour, but I was surprised at how quickly the pile grew.  I had first thought I would just throw a couple of things on Brian's table, but I ended up needing my own.  I've lived in the house for fourteen years now, but I'm always surprised at the amount of crap I have accumulated during that time.

Brian showed up just a touch late, which was fine.  He had said he would be at my place at 7am, which I figured was WAY too early, but I was wrong.  By the time we got to the flea market the place was packed out.  We ended up having to set up way in the back 40.  The last time I was there at 8am, I was about the only person there.  But it is peak of the season, not being too hot yet, etc.  Plus it was a pretty day.  And we did find a place, just not nearly as nice a place as I would have liked for us to have. 

I ended up making about $12, but that was after buying breakfast, table rental, a searcy for Justin, and a completely unnecessary movie.  Considering it was stuff I would have just otherwise taken to charity, I thought that was pretty good.  I didn't really have that much to sell.  I was primarily down there to hang out with Brian.  I like him, and don't see enough of him. 

The big news this morning was that Mom broke up with Rod.  They've been seeing each other for four years.  I figured this was coming (during my last visit to Columbia, ole Rod wasn't getting a lot of positive press), but I didn't expect it quite so quickly.  Mom seems to be fine.  She didn't keep the 'promise' ring, which was actually an engagement ring he purchased, but then she suspected what was going on and told him not to propose.  Onward and upward.

By about noon, Brian and I were both frazzled out from the heat and ready to go.  We packed up and headed back to Greenville, dropping in to Corona's for lunch.  Outside the restaurant, we ran into some people that Brian knew and they joined us for lunch.  It was a most pleasant meal, and one of his friends even paid for lunch, so it was just a good deal all the way around.  They even laughed at my jokes.  You can't ask for more than that.

When the meal was over we all headed our separate ways.  I ran by Goodwill to drop off my unsold items - that is my strict rule on such ventures.  When it comes out of the house, it does NOT go back in.  I did make an exception for one picture that I paid a pretty good amount of money for, and which I might re-hang.  I still got a good amount of stuff out of the house.

When I got home I started doing cat chores.  I really wanted a nap, but I had to take a shower first.  After all that, I finally was able to settle down for a while.  I sent Justin a text to find out about the 'Summer in the South' drop in he had been testing the waters on this week, but he sent me a text back that he had been thinking about it for next week.  He and Danny were at Carowinds today.  He at first told me he would get in touch when they came back, but then changed his mind and told me not to come.  I could understand that.  If I had spent all day in a theme park I would have been wiped.  But that left me with no one to play with.  Miss Kat and Dana were in Kentucky, LBR was in Atlanta, and Rhonda had a date with Sabrina tonight.  Well shoot.

I started heating up some supper, and was preparing for an evening of quiet reflection on my own when I got a text from Amanda.  She was staying at Justin's place this weekend and was waiting for me.  When she found out that I had been dis-invited she was not happy.  She got in touch with Justin, who got back in touch with me to re-issue the invitation.  So I headed that way.  Far be it from me to contravene Amanda, and I didn't particularly want to be home by myself anyway.

When I got to Justin's Amanda was on high alert.  She drinks a lot of coffee anyway, and had been home by herself all day, plus we hadn't seen each other in a while.  She had a big back-log of talk to get through while we were waiting for the boys to get in.  I had coffee with her for a while, but eventually just had to put up the white flag.  I can't keep up with her.

Justin and Danny came in, bringing Justin's incredibly spoiled dog Beula, who had stayed with his mother today while they were gone.  (Dog baby-sitters, who knew?)  She is a sweet thing though.  When he first brought her to my place I was so taken with her I thought about getting another dog.  I came to my senses.  I have more animals than I can handle already. 

We were all chatting and socializing when James came in.  He sounds like himself, and of course looks great.  He seems to be handling this huge upheaval very well.  It was good and reassuring to see him.  I got to cuddle up with him for a bit while we all talked and was glad to do so.  He's a sweet guy, and I think a lot of him.

Eventually, though, I realized it was 1:30am after a very long day, and I was absolutely wiped out.  I went home and fell into bed, profoundly grateful that I didn't have to be up early in the morning. 

No comments: