Sunday, June 10, 2012

A day in which I do some catching up

I slept in this morning, but not as long as I needed to.  I woke up feeling vaguely bleary, but there were things I had to do today. 

I dressed and went to the flea market for vegetables, and got home and started cooking.  I wanted to get my lunches done early in case someone wanted to play this afternoon, but I figured RBL would be tired when they got home. 

I was hurting today.  I had been hurting last night, but my legs and feet were really bothering me today.  But I couldn't just lay up.  By the time I got my veggies stewed up I had to get off my feet for a little bit.  I was also very tired after three nights of insomnia last week, and being out so late last night.  I needed to re-charge my sleep batteries.  I took a wee nappie.

I have been using Chopped as an inspiration for my cooking at home, and working to get some of the cabinet-sitting food out of the house.  I rarely eat anything canned any longer, and I've been trying to use down some stuff.  I had some cans of enchilada sauce (I generally make my own now) that have been there a while, and I had some left-over tortillas in the freezer.  I decided to make an enchilada casserole.  I bought peppers, onions, squash and zucchini and cooked them down with taco seasoning mix.  I added a couple of tomatoes that needed to be used, and put in some fresh garlic.  When I got up I layered the veggies with refried beans, tortillas, and cheese as for an lasagna.  Then I just bunged the whole thing in the oven.

I had to clean up the revenge of the kitties.  Crooner had retaliated for their forced confinement by pushing a lamp off the desk and breaking the glass out of it last night while I was gone.  He is steadily clearing the desk of all objects.  I have given him certain tables in the past, but I can't just have a bear desk sitting in the house.  Of course if he breaks everything on it I may have no choice.  I did re-locate one prized possession in the interest of safety.

While the casserole was cooling I got cleaned up and changed out the sheets.  I folded some laundry, put the enchilada casserole out into individual servings (I got 8) for lunches, and called Rhonda (who was to be free today) but got no answer.  I decided to go on and do the shopping so I wouldn't have it to do, and went on to Publix. 

When I got home I put my stuff away and decided I had earned some time in the internet vortex.  There was nothing else that HAD to be done today, and I wanted to be off my feets.  I signed on to Bear411 and started talking to a guy I had spoken to briefly over the past couple of weeks.  He's a really nice guy, but he is very young.  I had another message from him tonight asking for me to call him, which I did.

Now.  Having been turned on aggressively by a young'un a couple of weeks ago, and having to bear the burden of introducing someone so much younger to my family and friends should really be a deterrent.  But.  Being friends with Justin has changed the way I look at younger people and a possible relationship with someone younger.  Plus knowing Logan, who has an amazingly good head on his shoulders, plus just is a super-nice guy and a real person, has changed the way I think about these things.

Shortly into the conversation, this guy asked me if I had eaten supper.  I had not.  He then asked me to come down and go to supper.  Now aside from the aforementioned concerns above, I had just found out the guy didn't have a car.  While I don't like to think of myself as a materialistic person, it would be nice to meet someone who is at least self-sustaining.  But then I reminded myself that I have my own baggage.  I agreed to go.  Because:

  1. I'm trying not to dismiss people before I meet them.
  2. I'm trying to be more spontaneous.
  3. I'm trying to be open to new things.

So I got in the car and headed for Anderson.  The rain that had been threatening all day opened up.  I started feeling like a bit of an idiot.  It was too late to be going anywhere, the situation didn't sound promising, and I really needed the rest.  But I went on.

He was a very nice guy, but his life was pretty much a train wreck.  It made me feel bad because I did like him, and his need called to me.  He'd had a rough time.  He was overdue for someone to be nice to him.  But I was just staggering under the amount of baggage he was unloading within about an hour.  Seriously.  Bags and bags and bags.  I paid for dinner (which was from Master's Wok, and wasn't that great), told him he was a sweet guy (which he was), and left for home, feeling rather foolish.

Fortunately I was too tired to berate myself very much.  I just turned on my book on CD, pointed the car homeward, went home, and went to sleep.  

No comments: