Monday, June 4, 2012

A post in which I find myself over-booked

Although I had gotten a good start on month end on Friday, there was plenty left to do today.  I was busy, and it seemed like big chunks of time were just flying by.

Adding to the time-eating was a series of text messages from Jeff.  I am worried about him, and about James too.  In his messages to me today though, he seems to be fully invested in what he's doing.  James tells me he's fine.  So I guess it's fruitless to worry about people who are telling you they are fine. 

Also, I laid down the law to the bears this week.  They were trying to set up a night for a bear dinner on Facebook, and it was like herding cats.  No one would make a decision, and 89 people just kept posting their (*&^&^%$##@!! schedules.  I just stepped in today, made an executive decision, and posted a time for the meal.  To crickets.  I had two RSVPs today.  Screw it.  If I hadn't done it everyone would have debated right on through the week and there would have been no dinner at all. 
When I talked to Justin on Saturday, I had blithely agreed to go to supper with him tonight (I'm pretty used to not having tons of plans), but when I went into Facebook today Nicole had dropped a note about our prior engagement for supper.  I'm so glad she did!  It had completely slipped my mind. 

After a series of messages between me, Justin, and Nicole, I managed to work it out so that we could all just go together.  That was the best of all possible worlds for me, because it meant I got to see everyone. 

After work I scampered home and tried to straighten up the house a bit, hindered by the continual accumulation of extreme amounts of catritus all over everything.  Jinx has launched a campaign to trash the kitchen counters every time I leave the house.  They seem to be in a contest to see who can drive daddy crazy the fastest.

I was able to get things half together by the time everyone got there.  Amanda was going to join us, but sadly didn't make it.  In her stead, Justin brought a new guy he's seeing named Danny.  I really liked Danny.  He's cute, he's funny, and he fell right in with the group.  Shame he's already seeing Justin.  Still, Justin said that they were seeing each other 'casually'...

The catalyst for Justin and I going out tonight was to try a Vietnamese place he had discovered.   I was kind of hoping for a new great place, but it was just Mekong Restaurant.  Their food is fine (RBL are actually fond of it) but it doesn't really light me up.  It's really hard to eat vegetarian there (Nicole is off meat again - well on her plate anyway) or pescetarian.  It's OK.  And it's a huge step out for Justin to eat someplace like that so I didn't want to discourage him.

Our food was perfectly fine, if nothing to write home about (I think Nicole got the worst of it), but the congenial company more than made up for anything the bill of fare was lacking.  We all just got along famously.  It was a very enjoyable meal.  Their entrees are a bit light for me, but after devouring mine and most of Nicole's, I was fine.  We decided to go for ice cream because we'd eaten so healthily at dinner, and headed over to Bruster's Ice Cream for dessert.  I love their ice cream, and after that great stuff we had at the Ben N Jerry's at the beach, I've been kind of craving it. 

By the time we got back to the house, Justin was worn out (or just wanted to get Danny home), and it was about my bedtime.  I thanked Nicole for a very enjoyable evening and sent her on home.

No comments: