Saturday, June 5, 2010

A post in which I engage in my one sanctioned social function for the weekend

For some reason I woke up feeling like crap this morning. Can’t I even stay up a little without paying for it?? I did some work on my Fetlife profile, uploading pictures and hopefully checking for non-existent email. I did get a very nice email from an extremely cute guy who is doing a class on puppy play. He brushed me off, but he was very nice about it. After being in the trenches on the gay sites, it was a refreshing change. Gay men are absolutely brutal in their enforcement of the attractiveness caste system. You get out of your level and they will set upon you like baby birds pecking a deformed one to death. Well emotionally anyway.

I lay around for a while and eventually just decided I was as good as I was going to feel this morning. I headed over to the flea market on White Horse. Russ had asked that I make some baked beans for his birthday party tonight, so of course I was going to, but I had to go get some veggies first. I had a nice little veggie run (although I was there too late for glass), and came on home. I was feeling pretty energetic, so I went ahead and made up the beans. That was a help because I could just pop them in the oven later while I got ready. By the time I got done I was pretty wiped though.

I lay down for a while to try to feel like somebody, but eventually I had to get up and start getting ready. I baked the beans while I took a shower and stuff, and then ran out for gift cards. Russ had asked for them for his birthday, and since it was a co-party with Ben I had to get one for Ben too. I didn’t mind, but it’s turning into another expensive weekend. Especially for right before SELF.

My beans were in the oven, so of course Kmart, which had 89,000 Home Depot gift cards in stock at Christmas, had not stocked them since. CVS has also stopped carrying Home Depot cards. Great. That was what Russ had specifically requested, because that’s just the way my life works. I finally compromised on Visa gift cards and got home just in the nick of time to stop my beans from scorching.

I took my pills and stuff and headed on out. When I got there I was still feeling kind of yucky, but after a bit I started to feel more like myself. Marshall, John, and Aaron were down from NC for the weekend and the party. Miss Kat, dana, and Lori came also. Billy grilled out, and the food was wonderful. I went through the usual thing with my baked beans. Lori wouldn’t eat them because of the bell pepper in them, and dana said she just couldn’t eat them because of it. Miss Kat didn’t get any of her own, but she picked enough off of the leftovers on dana’s plate that I figure she liked them. It was fine. I made them for Russ anyway.

After we ate pretty much until we hurt the first time, they served dessert. John is a professional chef, and he had made two cakes, one for each of the birthday boys. They were fabulous! I don’t even like chocolate cake, but the chocolate on chocolate cake I ate tonight could change my religion. It was that good. They also had ice cream, which I have been craving for a couple of weeks. It wasn’t rum raisin, but it still went down awfully damn easy (again, no smart-ass comment necessary).

The weather by this point was absolutely lovely. There was a little breeze every now and again, and the temperature was just perfect to be outside. I barely went in the house at all. Jeff and James came down after they got off work, which was just extra fun. We spent the evening on the back deck just visiting and enjoying each other and the gorgeous evening. Loveliness.

No comments: