Sunday, June 6, 2010

A post in which I cheat on my vow

I woke up this morning feeling extremely lazy. I was hoping I could take a nap because I really need to charge the ole battery, but I was hungry. I remembered that yesterday I had picked up a loaf or cinnamon raisin bread, and all I wanted was cinnamon raisin toast. After about 50 or so pieces I was ready to lie down, and blessedly, I did sleep for a while.

I had just woken up when the phone rang. Billy had found my phone (which I had left at their house last night), and said they would run it by the house since they were going downtown anyway. Billy hasn’t seen the bedroom since I finished it, and the house looked pretty sad overall, so I did a quick fluff before I jumped in the shower. I waited for a while, but no B&R. I finally figured out they had decided to come by my place on the way home. Meanwhile, my sneaky self had already decided I could use an invitation from them as an excuse to go out to lunch. I called Billy on his cell, invited myself down, and met them at Mass General Store. I was hoping they would be done already so I could avoid the temptation of the candy section. They have all this great old candy there.

They were done, and I met them outside. We went through a couple of the new stores downtown, which are really nice. I’m going to have to take my mom the next time she comes. There is a rock/jewelry store and a really cool bead place.

By the time we had done that we were ready to eat, so we decided to stroll downtown and see what struck our collective fancy. Nothing was jumping out and we decided to walk down to the Mellow Mushroom. It’s at the bottom of Main Street, so it’s a bit of a trek, but it was a beautiful day (if a tad warm) and there was a pesky little breeze flirting in and out of the buildings on Main St, plus there were plenty of purty boys downtown to peruse, so it was a pleasant walk for the most part.

When we got to the Mushroom we glad to get into the air and order some food. We ordered some sandwiches, and then waited for them for 30 minutes! But they were really good when they got there.

After a nice little nosh and a stroll up Main, I left Russ and the gang at their car, and walked back up towards mine, making a foray through Mass General to buy candy (I know). Every time I go in I vow to not buy so much, but they give you those big ole buckets. And it all looks so tasty! And I like the expensive ones too, not the little cheap ones. Plus John and Marshall had bought a big bag before I got there, and they got me started eating it after lunch. (Yeah, that’s the ticket, it’s their fault.) I emerged triumphant, $16 later (!!), and called Laura.

Kimblee and Laura have recently been awarded custody of Laura’s two teen-age nephews. I hadn’t known about this (although I knew it was under discussion) until I got the invitation to Jennifer and Christina’s pool party. I had already told them I couldn’t come, but they sent an invitation. When I opened it I discovered that it was a gift card shower for the new mothers, so I wanted to go by and see them this weekend.

When I got there they were having gorgeous mojitos, which I delightedly joined them in. We visited and caught up, and Laura threw some salmon on the grill for supper. I helped Kimblee in the kitchen and kind of took over, as usual. She’s really good about that. We had a lovely supper and a visit, but we ate late. I was a lot later getting home than I wanted to be, which is the problem with my going out on Sunday nights. But it was well worth it. I love them both so much, and don’t see nearly enough of them. I’m on a short week next week anyway, and my neck has been going down. It should be fine.

No comments: