Monday, March 22, 2010

A post in which I clean some more, and get an invitation

Today it was back to work. I was feeling my age. I felt good, just achy from all I had done this weekend. Too much time in my knees, even for me.

After work, there was much to do. I went by the store to pick up some stuff, and got a disposable duster. I’ve always been skeptical of new-fangled cleaning gadgets, and disposables seem wasteful to me. But my house is a dust disaster. I can dust one day, and two days later you can write your name on all the furniture. Plus if you dust with a cloth, you rub a lot of the dust right back on to the furniture you’re trying to dust. So I succumbed. Billy had told me what kind to get. They had the refill pack, but not the dusters themselves, at the BiLo near my house, of course. That store can be relied upon to NOT have at least one thing I need every trip – one of the reasons I try not to go there. So I went to Kmart, where they have two lines open whether they need them or not. Of course according to the rules I got stuck in line behind some woman who was buying all the Easter basket stuff for her dozen children or something.

I took the opportunity to call Justin. I was hoping he was having an egg-dying party this year. Jeff and James are having it, but they’re having it at their house, with an egg hunt the morning after. I won’t be able to be there Monday since I have to work, but I’m invited to the egg dying party anyway. Last year’s party at Justin’s house was a hoot and a holler. Plus that gives me something to look forward to next weekend.

By the time I got home the last thing I felt like doing was cleaning house. Monday night is usually my night off. But I persevered. I cleaned the light fixture in the bathroom, changed the batteries in the smoke alarms and the furnace filter, and then started in on my main chores tonight. I had to clean the toaster oven. Once again something I rarely do because it’s a pain in the ass, and because the toast is suspended on a rack over the filth and really isn’t affected by it one way or the other (except for that toaster oven that caught on fire – but that’s another story). But it did look bad, and Mom was coming, so I got stuck in and did it. Then I cleaned the microwave. It wasn’t that bad, but Mom’s is always spotless. So that’s done. I took a moment to admire the shining surfaces in my impressively clean kitchen before I turned off the light. It really does look good in there. Now if I can just keep it that way for about 48 hours!

I’m falling off the diet thing. I had half a frozen pizza for dinner tonight. I just couldn’t face salad, and there was nothing fixed at the house. I looked at the grocery store, but didn’t see anything I wanted that didn’t have to be cooked. So right now I’m too busy. Then when Mom’s here I’ll be eating out with her. Then this weekend I’ll be eating in restaurants in Atlanta. So that’s pretty much a week of cheating. I’ll just have to do the best I can, but I am so thinking that 20lbs is not coming off this way.

No comments: