Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A post in which I take Mother to dinner

Today went so smoothly that it made me suspicious. Work went very well, despite a customer complaint call, and I was able to clear things off my desk that had been on it for a very long time. Good thing, it will be piled high next Tuesday after I take Friday and Monday off.

I was able to reach Rhonda (lesbians always have phone problems for some reason, and she hadn’t gotten my message from earlier in the week) and we worked out things for the trip. Things went my way enough that I wondered half-seriously if I might wreck the car or something on the way home. I drove extra carefully.

I had plenty of time to get the last fluffing things I wanted done to the house before Mom got there, and indeed had time to change and put a load of laundry in. The house looks great. I did feel a small twinge in my back, but just took a couple of Ibuprofen. There was a small snafu about her being a bit late because of the dildonic SCDOT plan to re-do the northern part of 385, but even that didn’t de-rail anything. The restaurant held our table with no problem. Mom was very impressed with my new windows. They are pretty great.

We had a great meal. Mom usually fusses when I try to spoil her, but she was unusually agreeable to letting me treat her to a nice meal in a nice place tonight. She had the beef (which made me raise an eyebrow), but I wasn’t really worried about the food at the Peppermill, where I have been eating for years. As always, the food was divine, and our service was great except that our salads were a bit late. I tried to get Mom to get some of the orzo pasta they do as a side because I think it’s just wonderful, but she opted for a twice-baked potato. When they brought our food out, I had her try mine. She said, in complete deadpan “Yeah, that tastes like your kind of dish.” Which I thought was very funny. Apparently she was underwhelmed.

After supper we went back to my house and looked up the location for the class she’s going to take tomorrow. Then we just chatted and caught up until bedtime. It was a lovely evening. I really enjoy spending time with Mom.

No comments: