Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A post in which things take a turn for the worse

I slept until about 1am. I woke up hurting. I thought maybe I was just constipated, but should have realized that constipation shouldn’t have hurt this much. It basically felt like someone had packed my gut with concrete that had hardened, and that my body was trying unsuccessfully to move it out in a single piece. I was up three times out of a sound sleep. It hurt so badly that all I could do is lay there and groan for a bit before I got up. I would have felt like a drama queen, but there was no one there to hear me. Jinx was worried about me. Her preferred (and indeed only) means of treatment is to walk back and forth over my stomach, which was not helping at all; but she didn’t know what else to do, and kept doing it until I thought I was going to wring her cute furry little neck. To make matters worse, on my unproductive trips to the bathroom I was freezing. I finally figured out that I was running a fever and took some Ibuprofen.

I considered going to the emergency room, but I would have felt stupid going in there with an impaction, and the only thing I could really claim was constipation and fever. I knew that would put me at the bottom of the waiting list, and that I probably wouldn’t get to see a doctor any sooner than if I just waited and went and saw my doctor later in the morning. I made a Scarlett O’Hara vow that if I lived to see the morning I would go to the doctor, and finally fell back into a restless sleep about 4:30.

I woke up about 8 and called in to work. I had no choice, I had to go in today to do my preliminary report, but there was no way I could have gone in this morning. I had told them I would be in after my doctor’s appointment, but I couldn’t get an appointment until 3:30 this afternoon.

I ate brekkie and slept for a couple more hours (During Meet Me in St. Louis, incidentally. Even in the throes of illness, I couldn't help but be reminded that Judy was truly at her most ravishing during the filming of this movie, despite the fact that she wasn't initially very enthusiastic about it. When I sleep through Judy, things is serious.) (Lordamercy, I am SO gay) then started going through the routine of getting ready for work. By the time I was done I was exhausted. I decided since it was so late in the day to go ahead and eat lunch before I went in. I didn’t really want any, but I was afraid my blood sugar would bottom out if I didn’t eat something.

I got to the office to find an email from Canada wanting to know where their numbers were. Before I could get the computer booted they were calling me. I explained that I had just gotten in, and would have them their stuff ASAP.

I got their numbers to them, and started working on my preliminaries. They had to go out today, but I couldn’t finish them before I had to leave to go to the doctor. That meant I had to come back to the office late this afternoon, which I really hadn’t planned and didn’t feel like doing.

The doctor told me that I had diverticulitis, but I had told her about my problems in the morning, the headaches and stuff as well. She scheduled me for a CAT scan to eliminate the possibility of a tumor or sinus complication – for tomorrow. She suspects high blood pressure, and she’s probably right.

I went back to the office and finished my preliminaries. I sent them out and then headed for home. Of course since I felt like hammered shit, the pharmacy was too backed up to fill my prescriptions while I waited. I went home, ate supper, and gave myself an stern internal lecture about how I wasn't going to feel any better until I started my meds to make myself go back to get them. I felt awful, but still noticed that the hot pharmacist with the Suspiciously Beautiful Hair and the sexy euro-trash beard was on duty. I took my pills and crawled into bed.

No comments: