Saturday, March 20, 2010

A post in which I have a clean bathroom!

OK, today was the day. It was time to roll my sleeves up and get to work. I got up early and made coffee with the best of intentions. Only I really, really didn’t feel like it. It was gorgeous today. It was warm and sunny outside. The proverbial (and literal) birds were singing. But I had work to do.

I would head for the green room to do some work, but then would get distracted. I went through the basket of mystery on the end of the kitchen bar where everything I don’t feel like dealing with right at the moment ends up getting piled. There were things that went back three years. Then I cleaned off the kitchen bar and the table. Good, but not exactly getting any floors wet.

I had thought I was going to have to give the yard a miss this weekend, despite it’s being in need of a spring trim, but serendipitous fate stepped in and the yard guy knocked at the door. So I set him to work, and then tried to do the same for myself. Even watching How Clean is Your House? wasn’t working, and usually that’s guaranteed.

Well it didn’t work right away. But I did get a bit inspired, and decided to work on the various dried deposits of Crooner-snot on the woodwork. They will come off, but they take a special product and patience. I usually skip them when I’m doing the other cleaning because they break my rhythm. But I got them today. In one case part of the paint went with it, but onward and upward.

It seemed to be a day for small jobs that I had been putting off. I got distracted sorting through checking account statements I’d been needing to go through. Then I installed the floor mat holders in the car, and put on a bumper sticker I’d been meaning to get to. I filled out some surveys that needed to be returned. When I came back in, the house smelled sour. Since it was such a beautiful day I threw all of the new windows open to give the house a good airing. All little needling things that needed doing, but I had big jobs I needed to get cracking on.

Finally, I put a plan in my mind and started. First things first, I needed to get the rest of the old everyday dishes packed up so I could put stuff in the attic. I did so. I put them in the attic, and finally put Christmas away! Just getting all that junk up out of the floor made the house look so much tidier. The curse of having a small house with no storage space is that you are forced to have a clear out – pretty often – or it just junks up on you. I sorted through all the boxes I had left and put them with the recycling. I hate to throw away a good box. I just know I’m going to have a use for it. But I don’t have the storage space.

Then it was on to the main event today – the bathroom. I hate to clean the bathroom. It is my most hated chore. Not because of the grossness or anything, I don’t mind that. It’s the fact that my bathroom is white and both cats have black hair. I just despise trying to get wet cat hair off of white porcelain. It takes forever. You wipe and wipe, and there’s just always another hair stuck on there. But I got the floor of the shower cleaned and the floor scrubbed. As much as I hate cleaning it, that’s how much I love it when it’s clean. I felt much better getting that done.

I stopped and had some supper. I had gotten so much done today I gave myself the rest of the evening off. I called Miss Kat and dana, but they were having couple time tonight. Russ and Billy were out of town. I settled in with the computer to watch Lawrence of Arabia on TCM. I love Peter O’Toole, but I just couldn’t get in to the movie. I hate political intrigue, and I can only take Omar Sharif in small doses. Plus it was making me so thirsty. They're in the desert dying of thirst half the time. I wandered into the kitchen for something to drink, and then noticed the stove.

Mom has a thing about the burner pan/liners being clean. I never pay the slightest bit of attention to them. They’re under the burner, so it’s way too hot for there to be any germs or bugs in them, plus the food is never going to be down there (if it’s going to be eaten anyway). I wipe down the range top regularly, but I could just care less about what’s under the eyes. In fact, the only time I clean the burner pans is when Mom’s coming. And they needed some attention. When Mom came for my surgery I just threw them out and got new ones, and really hadn’t looked at them since. So I took them off to soak overnight. Then I noticed under them, etc. In short I ended up getting out the Bon Ami and polishing the entire range top and stove hood, then raised the range top and cleaned all under there too. The stove looks great. I decided to go to bed. Everywhere I look all I can see is stuff that needs to be cleaned.

The life on an internet stud, I’m tellin ya.

No comments: