Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A post in which it is a bad day

I woke up feeling awful again. I guess this is the payment for going out of town and going to the flea market this weekend. I've been feeling bad for a while now, and it's really pissing me off. It's like it takes everything I have just to keep work going. If I don't have anything left for fun stuff, what's the point?

I walked in to work today to find out that the new acquisition had gone into the books with no warning just before month/quarter end. Since Canada is handling the AR for that company, there was of course no plan for how these numbers would be reported, and no warning to yours truly. The upshot was that most of the work I did yesterday would have to be done again. So I started in again.

The weather report called for snow today, and snow it did - all day. It was lighter at some times than others, but didn't stop for more than an hour. It was too warm for it to stick though. It would build up for a bit on the grass and bushes, but then it would warm up outside and all the accumulation would melt, only to start building up again shortly afterward. Fortunately there was no build-up on the roads because there was no way I could leave today. I've never seen so much snow where not a drop built up.

At lunch I got my social life organized for the week. Dinner tonight with Dick and Eve. I needed to take Dad his white sweet potatoes - they don't keep like the red ones do, and would have to be cooked. Tomorrow is dinner and a movie with Anna. It will be so good to see her. I texted Nicole and she begged off dinner this week - apparently she is having the same kind of week I am.

I got back to my desk to find out that the work I had re-done this morning also did not pass muster of the Canadian witch. I did her part over - yet again. Having to make more alterations to the numbers. This version again was rejected.

At this point, I was pissed. I went into my boss's office and basically pitched a hissy-fit. He said he would try to talk to her to get a clearer picture of what she wanted, and I did my regular job this afternoon.

Alan asked me to stay late tonight while he talked to Canada to try to get some clarification. I stayed through the phone call, waiting. I had to leave to make it to dinner with Dick and Eve, but I couldn't leave before he finished. He finally left his office, and I found out he had finished the call and had been working on other things. He had forgotten I was here waiting on him. He did have the additional instructions though, and was actually helpful, showing me a new trick to make things easier - kind of. I am still pissed, but there's not really anything I can do about it. I had already pitched one fit today. I'm going to have to give myself an attitude adjustment tonight and try to come in fresh in the morning.

I made it to Fried Green Tomatoes in plenty of time to meet Dick and Eve. Fortunately, a lot of people had gone home early since schools were closed and such. Also fortunately, the weather gave me an excuse not to go to their house after supper for a longer visit, as we usually do. Truthfully, it was supposed to freeze over tonight, and I didn't want to get caught out on icy roads. Also, though, I am absolutely exhausted. I just want to go home and crawl under the covers, which is what I did.

No comments: