Sunday, March 7, 2010

A post in which I see some friends

Apparently behaving responsibly is not the answer. This was the worst in a series of bad mornings. I got up and debated whether it would hurt worse to go get the Ibuprofen or to just stay in bed and hope for it to go away. Being a take-action kinda guy I got up to go after the pills. My head was just killing me this morning. It took me two hours to feel good enough to leave the house.

Fortunately I had been awake early, and by the time the two hours had passed it was prime flea market time. I debated the wisdom of this, but went anyway based on: 1) my determination to have some kind of life, and 2) the fact that I needed fruit anyway.

It was great flea market weather. The day was sparkling bright and there were plenty of people out shopping. I walked around, basically just happy to be out of doors and feeling functional. I got the fruit, a couple of veggies, and looked at the glass. I did actually purchase a plate eventually. It was Sharon, not one of my favorite patterns, but a pretty piece at a decent price, and in good condition. I usually see Sharon in amber and I don’t like that color, but the piece I found today was pink. Also unusual to see a plate in this pattern -ususally I just see the ubiquitous 8 1/2" bowl - apparently there were millions of those made. I saw a sugar bowl also, and the color looked right, although I know that piece has been reproduced, but the base was all chipped up.

Sharon "Cabbage Rose" 9 1/4" dinner plate in pink by Federal Glass Co, circa 1935 - 1939

I also saw a really cool old-looking hydrogen peroxide bottle that I thought would be neat for dana, but when I went back and looked at it, the mold seams looked off to me. I’m just learning about bottles and not confident enough to buy something like that I’m not sure about. The lady wanted $7 for it too, which would have been about all the money on it if it had been old, I’m thinking. I turned it down.

I saw Tammy from work there. She’s always nice to me. I also saw a woman I used to work with name Vicki. I always liked her.

While I was chatting with them and debating on whether or not to buy the plate dana called. I was SO happy to hear from her!! She called to tell me they were making breakfast and invited me over. I said I’d be right over.

I ran by the house, dropped off my fruit, and grabbed a shower, then headed over there. Miss Kat had had a tooth out this week, and her mouth had been sore until today, so she was ready to eat. We had a real country breakfast: coffee, eggs and cheese, homemade biscuits, fried taters (and is there anything, really, better than fried taters??), and bacon for them. Everything was delicious!

After an indulgent meal, we settled in to chat and smoke. I hadn’t seen them in over two weeks, so there was plenty to catch up on. Miss Kat and dana are in agreement that I need to find out what the heck is wrong with me, and that I should go back to the doctor. At this point I’m thinking that there has to be more than just Epstein Barr going on, and even if there isn’t there’s got to be something I can do to feel better. For the last week I’ve felt more like I was existing than living.

Dana did some stuff around the house, but after a while, it was clear that they needed to get some stuff done. I went on home. I was so tired. I decided to take another nap, despite the fact that it was really too late in the day to nap. But first, of course, I wanted a snack.

When I woke up it was about 5:30. I was still tired. But there were things I had to do for next week. I put in an onion to pickle because I was out of pickled onion (to which I am now officially addicted) for sandwiches next week. I made some chili for hot dogs (which I had planned for supper next week).

After that I just hung out and watched the Fox lineup until time for bed.

No comments: