Monday, February 13, 2012

A post in which it is a tale of two Richards

When I started this post, I didn't think that I was using the title as a clever euphemism, but on second thought maybe I kind of am. There's a male strip club in Atlanta called Swinging Richards, and although I really have never cared for strippers, I've always thought the name was most clever.

But first.

I started the day off by putting on a pot of beans for soup. I LOVE my crock pot. I bought it years and years ago when I first moved out, and paid what was at the time a lot of money for me (I was poor). But I've never regretted it - it is a wonderful appliance.

I have a great recipe for twice-cooked Tuscan bread soup, but it takes three days to make. The base of it is delicious though, so sometimes I just make the base and eat that, which is what I did today. It's white beans (the recipe calls for white kidney beans, or Cannellini beans if you're Italian, but it works fine with Great Northern Beans, which you can get at BiLo), fresh sage, cracked black pepper, fresh crushed garlic cloves, and virgin olive oil. It doesn't sound like much, but it turns out really delicious. There is a bunch of stuff you add to the base after you puree it, but I don't always have time to do all that, and there is stuff in the full recipe I'm not supposed to eat at the mo (like black kale).

With the crock pot loaded, I went off to work and caught up on some things today. It was pretty quiet.

When I gave myself my Lovenox shot today, blood came running out of the tiny beeny hole afterwards, so I'm thinking that surely my blood is thin enough now. I'll find out tomorrow.

I drove straight home to see to my beans because I was afraid they would scorch, but I needn't have worried. I had set the crock pot too low and they weren't done. So I turned the crock pot up and two hours later, boom - done. I pureed the soup, packaged it up, and put some in the freezer. So I made up for goofing off Sunday morning and felt very responsible and practical.

In other news, I was fooling around online tonight when I ran across another guy named Richard. He is a cutie. We saw each other about four years ago, and just when I started to like him he told me he was moving back to Pennsylvania to go back to his ex. At the time, I was rather put out about it. Well he's back now, he has fond memories of me, and he would like to get together.

The other Richard (I'm calling him Rick because my Dad's name is Richard, and it's just too Freudian for words). Is the guy that I liked two weeks ago, who went out of town this past weekend. I suspect I may be more into him than he is to me, but it's hard to tell. When I hear from him he sounds positive and glad to hear from me, but there are large chunks of time when he's incommunicado. Hard to tell if that's because of his job (he works third shift), because of lukewarm interest, or just because he's being a man.

So it's confusing. I suppose it isn't really good of me to see them both at once, but at the same time, I've been out with Rick one time, so it isn't like we're exclusive or anything. Dating can be so complicated.

But at the moment, I have two Richards. Well, two in the bush anyway. Not to objectify either of them.

No comments: