Saturday, February 18, 2012

A post in which I attend a birthday party*

I slept in. I had a bit of a hang-over from being out late last night, but it was fine.

I had arranged to see a guy I used to date about four years ago today and he came over for a while. He had moved out of state to give things with his ex another try. Since they hadn't worked out, he is back here. He's not a bad looking guy, but no beard, which is kind of a must-have for me. Plus, he had gained 72 pounds when he moved back with his ex. That's half a person. That's like being pregnant with a 7-year-old child. I guess it makes me superficial, but I just couldn't find myself as excited about seeing him again. He is a nice guy though.

After he left I started working. I had the groceries to make lunches for the week, and made a big pot of smother-fried garlic vegetables for lunches next week. Yum. I did some laundry and futzed around the house feeling very organized and prudent.

I also started trying to get in touch with Rick, my date for the party tonight. I sent a text and left a message on his voicemail. Crickets. Again. I decided he might still be asleep (he works third shift), and so just went about the business of getting ready. After an hour or so, I decided to try him again. I sent another text.

About a half hour before he was supposed to be at the house, he called to cancel. He pled a health emergency, but his excuse was so over-the-top gross and detailed that frankly my lie detector went off. I broke the social construct and just told him that if he wasn't interested to please tell me. He says he does want to see me again, all appearances to the contrary. After two weeks of this, I'm pretty much done chasing him. He's cute, seemed nice, and I'd like to see him again; but I'm not gonna beg the guy.

That resolved, I headed for Spartanburg. It was James's birthday dinner. I love James and Jeff to distraction, but they have such a huge entourage now that it's hard to get any face time with them. Tonight really proved no exception. There were at least 20 people invited to the dinner. I got there early enough to at least sit at the table near them (and next to Amanda and across from Justin, two of my favorite people), but between my voice, and the very over-crowded and noisy restaurant, it was pretty hard to hold any conversation. Added to this, I got things off to a lovely start by dumping a half-gallon of ginger ale into Justin's lap. Sigh.

There were two parties scheduled at the same time, so we had a hetero hoe-down, complete with kids, going on behind us. We did get some appetizers, but after that the kitchen locked down under the strain. We had been there over an hour when our food started coming out. We were going to the house afterwards, but some people weren't going, etc. We ended up being in the restaurant for about two and a half hours total. I was ready to pull my hair (what little there is of it) out.

When we got back to the house though, things improved. There was more room. You could actually hear low thunder. Plus I had eaten, and my blood sugar was better, so I felt better.

Justin and I had agreed to exchange our Christmas presents tonight because we hadn't seen each other since before Christmas. He seemed to really like his, and he really hit it out of the park with his gift to me. He gave me a Floral divided relish that I had coveted for lo these many years in his collection.



Floral handled 2-part relish dish in green, by Jeannette Glass, circa 1931-1935


The rest of the evening passed very pleasantly as we visited, caught up, and just enjoyed each other's company. I got home very late, but it was very worth it. Love those guys.

No comments: