Thursday, February 23, 2012

A post in which I have boy night

I went to the doctor today for a check-in. After doing my blood work, they found that I was almost twice as thin as they wanted. They want me at a level 2. Last week I was at 2.1. This week I was at 3.6. The higher the number, the thinner your blood. I asked the doc if the thin blood was the reason I was feeling so crappy and tired, but he said no. I was skeptical. I'm thinking that basically being told my veins are full of red Kool Ade can't be making me feel more peppy. But my arm doesn't hurt.

Next week I'm to see the surgeon to talk about getting this stupid chemo port out, which is what's causing the clot problem. Then the following week I see the oncologist again to strategize about blood-thinners before and after surgery. In the meantime, with my blood as thin as it is, I'm thinking I can have a freakin' salad if I want.

I had planned to go to dinner tonight with Logan for some boy time. Russ and Billy are both very strong personalities, and I think it's important that he have someone he can talk to about the relationship outside of the relationship. I think everyone needs that, but particularly as young as Logan is I think it's important. But things seem to be going smoothly at the mo, and Logan asked if Billy could come with us. Of course I said yes.

I got to the house, and Billy and I had a little discussion about boy time (among other things) while Logan went out for a run. He's really into the exercise thing, and good for him. Wish I was.

After some discussion, we decided to go to El Patron for dinner. This was another place I had heard about from Eve. It's relatively new, I just hadn't been there yet. She and Dad had eaten there and really liked the food. She also said they had a lot of veggie selections, and they did have a fair share.

After having been talked out of ordering nachos last night, I decided to order them tonight. That was provided we could get our order taken. The woman who was seating was also our waitress, and seemed to be having a hard time keeping up with everything.

We did eventually get drinks and get our orders taken. We had ordered guacamole because a) it was gorgeous on the menu (there was a picture); and b) there was a guacamole cart sitting in the dining room that seemed to hint that the guac would be made table-side, fresh to order. Sadly, this was not the case. We had a small order of very average-looking guacamole delivered to the table. It was pretty good though.

It took a while to get our food, although it seemed like longer because it had taken so long to get our order taken. In the meantime, I had eaten 7.5pounds of chips and salsa, guacamole, and complimentary bean dip. (Unfortunately also, Billy spotted a cucaracha in the floor of the dining room - we decided to stay anyway. Most all restaurants have them.) By the time our food got there, I was pretty full. My nachos were good. The cheese sauce was good, although it was poured over fried flour tortillas. Kudos to them for making the chips there, but flour tortillas are less healthy and have less fiber than corn, plus they absorb more oil, so they were a bit cloying with as much as I had eaten already. My nachos also unfortunately suffered from a very strong raw onion dice that had been thrown over it. Still, it was hot, and tasty, and had it come a little faster I would probably have enjoyed it a lot more. I'm willing to go back and give it another shot. Billy and Logan seemed much more impressed with the food.

After supper we were all stuffed. We went back to the house. Poor Russ was still at work. He came in eventually after a rough day, and we watched a couple of episodes of Big Bang Theory on TiVo before I went home and turned in. I just love that show! I did reflect briefly on the fact that I no longer start watching new shows unless Russ and Billy basically force me. Not good. It makes me feel like and old fogey. "No new shows!"

No comments: