Friday, February 24, 2012

A post in which I take my best girl out



Rhonda was puny last Friday and cancelled on me, so I made sure to make a date for today. The Secret World of Arrietty was showing in theaters here, but I knew it wouldn't be for long. I thought Rhonda would enjoy it and wanted to take her to see it on big screen. I wanted to see it too, but I know Rhonda doesn't go to the movies very often and thought it would be a special treat for her. I enjoy anime, and started showing her some of my Hayao Miyazaki movies when we were home during treatments. I thought she would enjoy his movies because his protagonists are usually girls, and because they are simultaneously cute and empowered (like her). She seemed to like them.

First though, we had to procure some supper. After a brief visit with Tony, we headed out. We ended up eating Mexican (I can't seem to get enough of that this week) at a place near the theater called Puerto Vallarta. The food and the service was good; and although it was fairly standard fare, after the last couple of experiences that was welcome. Plus they finished off the meal with complimentary cinnamon chips with chocolate syrup and whipped cream. They were so good I had the waitress bring us a plate of them. Yummy!

We had a bit of time to kill after dinner, so we did a little strolling, talking, and took a little shop through TJ Maxx, although we didn't buy anything. I want some new underwear, but didn't like anything they had on offer.

Arrietty wasn't directed by Miyazaki (although he did co-write it), but it is a Studio Ghibli release, so I knew the quality would be there. It was! The style was very different than Miyazaki. Arrietty was directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi. The animation was lush and gorgeous, but looked more like a series of French Impressionist paintings than the incredible detail for which Miyazaki is known. The garden scenes were just really beautiful. The story moved a little slowly for me, but it was more accessible than Miyazaki's usual fare, being fairly straight-forward and not mixing in elements of Japanese folklore and the like. The plot made sense and came to a logical conclusion, unlike some of Miyazaki's movies, which many times kind of fall apart for me at the end.

Unfortunately my legs started hurting and I kind of squiggled through the second half of the movie. It is just hard for me to sit still that long any more, and movie theater seats just seem to be designed for differently proportioned people. Fortunately Rhonda didn't notice, or at least was nice enough to say she didn't.

It was a very nice evening, a lovely end to the week, and it was good to spend some good time with Rhonda. It makes me happy to do little nice things for her.

No comments: