Thursday, February 9, 2012

A post in which I go to dinner

I heard from Eve today. She and Dad are back from New Orleans. They got in last night. I told her about my arm and what's been going on. I purposely hadn't told them while they were out of town because I was afraid that Dad would kill them or get a ticket or something trying to get home. Had they been here there wouldn't have been a thing they could do anyway. She didn't fuss at me, which I had expected.

After my shot today, I went by to see Dad for a minute at the house. He seemed in pretty good spirits, all things considered, and I left feeling better.

After several days of pain and difficulty I made my bed for the first time this week today. I felt encouraged.

I had planned to take Russ, Billy, and Logan out to dinner tonight to celebrate my first alternate Thursday with no chemo since last August (!!). I had considered calling off the dinner earlier in the week because I really didn't feel like celebrating. Also, I got some bad news today. One of the nurses let it slip that the daily shots aren't over tomorrow, as I had thought. That bothers me for two reasons.

First, it's a $25 co-pay every time I go over there. Since I've been over every day this week, that's $125 for the week. I can't afford that every week. For four weeks that's $500. That's more than my house payment. (I have a small house.)

Second and perhaps more importantly, that means this is just going to go on and on. I thought this was over when chemo was finished. It is SO discouraging to be going to the Cancer Center every day. And now this is just going to drag out and out. I felt very discouraged and frustrated, and frankly not a bit like celebrating.

Another source of frustration this week has been that the new guy, Rick, is not responding to me. I've sent texts and emails, and messages through Bear411, but crickets. So he's acting like a man. Dammit.

But Russ remembered that we had plans tonight, and I decided to suck it up and go on and do it. They've been wonderful through all of this, and I have a lot of thank you's still to do. Best to get one knocked down.

But the blows for the day weren't over. I got to the house and kind of unloaded on Billy and Logan. I am just so frustrated with this complication - I want my life back! Then Billy lowered the boom. Our favorite sushi place, our beloved Miyako, has closed. Well more precisely has merged with a place called Irashiai. Now back in the day, Irashiai was da bomb. It was the best sushi place in Greenville. But they changed locations, and things kind of went downhill a bit, and then the food wasn't as good, and finally I just quit going.

After some discussion. we decided to give Irashiai another chance. When we went in, we saw one of our favorite waitresses in the new place. She came over and spoke to us. She then sent the old Miyako manager over to speak to us. She in turn sent over the Irashiai manager to introduce herself. I have to say, we were feeling like valued customers. I felt like a visiting diplomat or something. But Miyako was really kind of a hang-out for us, and they seemed to understand that. The food we had was good. The Mussels Yaki were as good as I remembered. Some things we had were better than others. But we all agreed we would go back. Sadly, some of my favorite rolls may be gone forever. One may not make it onto the new menu (we were told that they were going to add some of the Miyako dishes), and one they were serving as a special that day, but it didn't taste the same. It was good, but not the same.

But we had a good meal, and I thanked them. Plus I felt better about the new complications, so it was a win/win I think.

No comments: