Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A post in which I enjoy a celebratory meal

It was actually a good day all the way around.

I started the day by getting in touch with Rick. He's going to James's birthday party with me this weekend. So I have an actual date (!!) which is really nice. It's been a long time. I am pretty excited. My happiness is tempered only with the unpleasant news I have to share about the port complications and other things. I'm wondering how long I should wait before I expose all. That's always a poser for me.

I had good news at the doc today. He told me that a) my blood was finally thin enough (thank goodness, I thought I was going to have to purchase a large glass or something to carry my body around in); b) that he was taking me off the Lovenox injections for now; and c) that I didn't have to come in again until next week. Excellent.

I finished up the day at work and headed to Dad and Eve's house. Dad was taking me out for a celebration of the end of chemo. Since it tickles him to death to see me eat a piece of meat, and since I love them so much, I asked to go out for hot wings. I love buffalo wings the way a fat boy loves cake. Seriously. I just don't allow myself to indulge very often. We went to Quaker State Steak & Lube, in part because I went there years ago with some bears and they had the best barbecue sauce I have ever eaten. Unfortunately, they have discontinued that flavor (isn't that always the way it goes?). Still, it was all-you-can-eat wings night, and we proceeded to eat all we could eat.

Every time I eat chicken I see the chicken truck the next day, but I had already seen it Saturday night on my way home. I was thinking I was past the mojo, but no. Our waitress (at freakin' Quaker State mind you) was a vegetarian. During the course of taking our order, she found out that I usually am, and that I was falling off the wagon. So a fellow believer watched me sell out my convictions for buffalo wings. I decided to disregard it and ate them anyway.

Despite the bewildering array of sauces on offer, none were as good as the sauce I'd had on my prior visit (when I had buffalo shrimp). But since I love them so much I ate about 5,000 or so wings. Still, in future when the urge hits I'll be going to Sonny's in Powdersville. I think theirs are better.

After eating until we couldn't move, we adj0urned to the house for a visit before I headed home.

Usually, Valentine's Day gets me down. It's a reminder that I'm still single. But I don't feel so alone any more. Everyone has rallied round so well during treatment that it feels ungrateful and unnecessary to have a 'poor little me' party. I sent Valentines to Rhonda, Lisa, and Ava, and enjoyed that they would get a pleasant surprise. So the old VD didn't bother me so badly this year. Maybe my perspective has changed on what's really important. I sure hope so.

It was a nice evening.

No comments: