Saturday, February 11, 2012

A post in which I visit Russ, Billy, and Logan

Three of my favorite people in the whole wide world.

First though, I had to catch up on the 7,000 errands I had been to incapacitated to do the weekend before. I put together a list in my head and eventually started running errands. Although my arm hurt, and it was butt-ass cold, I did eventually manage to get it all done.

Encouragingly, I heard from Rick today. It was just to tell me that he was going out of town for the weekend, but the tone of his messages was encouraging, and hopefully I'll get to see him again. I'd like to.

Among the errands today was to go pick up my syringes of Lovenox and give myself my first solo injection, which I am happy to say went off without a hitch. The needles you use are really tiny and you barely feel them (they're like insulin needes), but you never know.

Afterwards, with cold-aching hands, I drove to the boys' house. We went out to dinner at a Thai Place I didn't remember even going to it had been so long. Kannikas Thai Kitchen is right on Haywood Road. Apparently the guys eat there more often than I do. I had favored a place here called Thai Sky before they went out of business. Royal Thai on Mauldin Road has great food, but the owner is such a jerk I hate going in there.

For some reason I apparently have an unquenchable yen for curry at the moment, so I elected for a Thai curry. They are pretty hot usually, but after talking to the waiter I ordered mine medium. I like spice, but don't want to cry at the table. The curry was delicious, but it was really, really hot. I wanted to eat it, but in the end I just had to give up. Everyone else seemed tickled with their food. I'll got there again, but I know to order mild next time. Live and learn.

Afterwards we went back to the house and I visited for a while. I talked to Russ, Billy, and Logan about that they had done for me during treatment. I had intended to do this Thursday when I took them to their Thank You dinner, but one thing led to another and I forgot what I had intended to say. When I went to their house, it was like they were tossing me little nuggets of blessed normalcy. I was desperate for that since I felt like my whole world was going crazy. Those little nuggets of my real life were like the pebbles Hansel followed home in the story. They led me through some pretty dark forest.

Except for my insanely hot curry it was a nice evening. It's always good to get some boy time in.

2 comments:

rhonda said...

i love that Royal Thai place, though i think Saffron's is better :o) OH!! Satay...is that indian? No...Thai, right? Yeah, satay with the peanut sauce stuff...YUM.

thefabulousmrthing said...

From what I read, satay originated in Indonesia, but is commonly found in Thailand. Saffron is Indian, so kind of oranges to apples.