Sunday, February 26, 2012

A post in which I return to the Jockey Lot

I was very excited this morning because it was to be my first post-treatment trip to the flea market. I was up early to check the weather on line, eat breakfast, and take my pills. When Russ got to the house I was ready to roll. Russ brought me coffee and pancakes Billy had made for breakfast - they were telish.

Although the weather was supposed to be cold, it was beautiful out, and ended up not being as cold as predicted. Because of the pretty weather, the place was packed with shoppers. I had forgotten how good the *ahem* window shopping is at the flea market. I found everything but a husband today, but I saw a coupla guys I wouldn't have minded auditioning for the part.

As soon as we got to the Jockey Lot I started finding stuff. We hadn't gotten out of the car really before I found a searcy for Rhonda. Then I bought a pair of tennis shoes. I really wanted to get rid of the ones I wore to chemo. I've never liked them (they make my feet look fat - I know, that's insane, but they do), and wearing them to treatment just added another layer of unpleasantness. I get a new pair of tennies every spring anyway. I remember reading a short story where the author talks about shedding the winter shoes, with their memories of cold and slush, for a new start in a bouncing new pair of boppers. I've never forgotten that. This year, of all years, I am ready to shed the old and bring in the new!

Next I found a big bottle of high-efficiency laundry detergent. I may have gotten taken there, but I'm using up the old detergent and needed some he detergent for the new washer anyway. It seemed like a decent deal. I found a depression glass platter that was nice, and at a good price, and a pattern I like; but I have one already, so I left that treasure for someone else. After some debate (and a small loan from Russ) I bought a pair of brown Carhartt work pants. The main reason I wanted them is because we know this guy named Ben who just looks amazing in his. If I could look half as hot as he does in them, I knew I wanted a pair, although I reflected ruefully afterwards that his are a good bit smaller than mine. But they are bought, and I'm kinda stoked about wearing them. I have fantasies of being a vision on caramel brown next weekend.

I got some nice yellow delicious apples to take for lunches next week. I'm tickled to be back to eating a good amount of fresh fruit again. Sadly, when I got the apples home, they had hidden the overripe ones on the bottom of the basket, so these weren't quite as nice as I thought they were, although they were fine.

We saw our friends David and Tom, and waved them down to talk for a while. It was good to see them. David is a really nice guy, and I had a bit of a crush on him at one point. Tom is terrifically sweet, and was very nice about asking how I was doing, and wishing me well. He's also a talented chef, and I love going to their place partially because the food is always wonderful.

Logan was leaving on business of his own, but we had lunch at the Pizza Dog first. Ironically, they were out of pizza today, which is what I usually get. Their cheese pizza is good, and a lot of times I have that for breakfast while I shop. I had a grilled cheese and some onion rings. It was fine. The main reason to be there was for the companionship anyway. Billy and Logan went with us, so it was an extra treat. Usually Billy would rather sleep in on Sundays than go to the flea market.

After lunch Logan went on his way, and Russ and Billy rode to drop me off. They came in for a visit, which was nice.

I took it pretty easy for the rest of the day. Although my feet and legs held up pretty well to all the walking, that was a lot of activity for me right now. I'm still building my strength and endurance back up. I did some laundry, chatted online, and futzed around the house for a while before having a late, light supper and turning in.

Lovely day.

No comments: