Friday, February 10, 2012

A post in which I'm out on the town with my best girl

I saw the doc today. I had managed to get most of my frustration under control by then, but I was still pretty flusterpated. Eve went with me to get the details. I was told that my blood was not yet thin enough, and that the daily injections would have to continue. But they agreed to give me the stuff and let me do the injections myself so that I didn't have to do the co-pay every day. He increased my dosage of oral thinners also.

So I went through 'giving yourself a shot' class with Fran, the injection nurse, who has been super nice to me. She was very patient and assured me that she didn't think I would have any problems.

I should be able to have the port out in about a month, barring complications, and I have another 3-4 months of blood thinners ahead of me. I'm thinking that once I get this port out, I'm not going to have any more problems, but taking an extra pill (or three) a day for a while is relatively small potatoes, although there are side effects and complications with blood thinners also, of course. Dad has been on Coumadin for years though, and many people are on it leading basically normal lives. Compared to chemotherapy, it's a freakin cake walk, I'll just tell you.

I called Rhonda from the doc's, and by the time I got over there I was feeling better.

We visited for a while, and checked the web for Vitamin-K rich foods (which are contra-indicated when you're on blood thinners). After being blown away by the sheer scope of foods I"m supposed to avoid, we decided to go to supper.

Tonight I took her to Saffron. I've rhapsodized about Saffron before, but after the last bear dinner a couple of weeks ago I had been pretty impatient to go back. The last time I went I was still afraid to eat spicy food, and I had to order my curry so bland that I was a bit disappointed. Not so tonight. My tummy is back at full strength, and I was able to order my food the way I wanted. I also ordered a sampling of their fantastic appetizers, and finished the meal off with the gulab jamun for dessert. They make the best galub jamun I have ever eaten. They are phenomenal.

Since Rhonda is a light eater, I ate most everything on the table. It was a huge meal, but one that we both enjoyed immensely. After we ate, Rhonda obligingly rolled me out to the car. We went back to her place and visited for a while before I went home and turned in. A capital Friday evening :)

1 comment:

thefabulousmrthing said...

Well don't tell my Mom, but yeah, you're my best girl honey. Love you bunches.