Sunday, April 11, 2010

A post in which we have a reunion cookout

I was up bright and early, but wasted so much time online talking with Al and on Bear411 that I wasn't ready when Russ and Billy got there to pick me up. But I was ready shortly, and we were off to Anderson.

I really just kind of went down for the walk today and to spend some time with Russ. I needed some produce too, but the produce was pretty sucky today. As we walked up the first row, I saw an Old Cafe Ruby Red mint dish for sale. Now I had bought one at the beach with Mother a couple of years ago, but was very disappointed when I got it home because it was sick glass. I looked this one over carefully, and it was in great shape. So I picked it up for $10.


Old Cafe mint dish in Ruby Red by Anchor Hocking, circa 1936-1940

We walked on a bit further, Billy and I appreciating the extra-generous percentage of hotties out today, and I found a 7" Fire King Jadeite Swirl mixing bowl. I have some of the others of the set, but didn't think had this one. It wasn't the elusive 5" bowl, but then they are scarce as hen's teeth. I bought this one for $8, which was pretty much a steal.


7" Fire King Jadeite Swirl mixing bowl, circa 1940's

Walking on a bit further, I saw a found a set of Horseshoe plates. Horseshoe is one of those rare patterns that you usually just don't see at all. Three of the five were a bit chipped (apparently one had gotten broken at some point), but for a dollar each, I just couldn't resist. They are so pretty.

No. 612 "Horseshoe" 8 3/8" salad plate in green by Indiana Glass, circa 1930-1933

We nosed around inside for a while, and briefly visited with a friend out there. I talked to a guy about having some stripes put on Gracine, and Billy and I discussed the cardiac episode my father would have if I pulled into his driveway with eyelash decals mounted above my headlights.

But we had to head on back. Billy had been discussing a cookout this evening, and since I had plans with Jeff and James, he invited us all over. There had been some Drama a while back, and Russ and Billy hadn't seen much of James since. There were negotiations, because Ben (James's ex) was coming with his new boyfriend Willie, and then Russ's feelings got hurt because we had misunderstood him earlier and poo-pooed his (we thought) idea for a Jerry Springer-like reveal where we invited them all and didn't tell them, but in the end everyone was OK and it was all fine.

I went home and took a nap. Jeff and James were coming down later for us to go buy the paint for my bedroom, and for them to look at colors for painting their house. At the moment though, I thought I needed the extra sleep more than I needed to have a perfect (or even reasonably clean) house when they arrived.

That lasted until I woke up, and realized that my house looked like an old junk car lot. Everything was covered in pollen because I've had the windows open lately whenever possible. I got out the duster and the vacuum and did the flight of the bumble bee through the house, trying to make it look as if someone civilized lived there. The consequence of this was that I hadn't showered when they got to the house. I hated to make them wait, but them's the breaks sometimes.

We went on to Home Depot to get the paint. I gave the friendly paint man my swatches, and while he mixed colors we looked at exterior colors for their house. I was basically no help at all. They knew what they wanted, and the debate was mainly about hues, on which subject they pretty much dismissed my suggestions, other than to go outside to look at the colors. It is absolutely impossible to pick out colors in the store. There is no scrap of any light found in nature inside, and the colors look completely different in sunlight. James was taking one color sample out at a time, so eventually I just started grabbin handfuls and following him out.

We got that basically settled, but my ceiling color didn't come out right. To the point that the paint man agreed that the color was wrong. So he had to re-mix both gallons. By this time, Billy was texting us to find out where we were. But there was little we could do. We got the paint, ran by the house to drop it off, and dashed for Billy and Russ's house.

Ben and Willie were already there, and there was remarkably little awkwardness. There were a few moments where things could have gone odd, but I was prepared to just wade right in with a tirade of words and an attempt at a charm offensive. Very little of that was needed though, and we had a lovely visit. We sat out on the deck to eat, and it was just beautiful. After supper we had a post-prandial smoke and just settled in to enjoy each other's company.

We did move in later because Billy said the mosquitoes are already out, plus it was getting a bit nippy to be outside in shorts, but everyone had a really good time. It was a great evening.

But I didn't get a ^&%%$$#!! thing done on my hat today.

No comments: