Monday, April 19, 2010

A post in which I have the day off

I try to take the day off after the Hat Party if I can. I'm usually pretty drug out the next day.

I got up and had my coffee and stuff this morning, and wearily started putting together a mental list of chores I needed to accomplish today. There were lots of things that needed doing, including putting the yard in shape for spring.

But I suddenly became rebellious.

It is my vacation day, I told myself. I am not going to waste a precious day of vacation working in the yard. I immediately felt better, and called James to see what he and Jeff were up to. I know they're usually off on Mondays, and they had called to invite me up last night. I had gotten the voice mail after the party. Well it turned out they did have to work, but Amanda was there, and they invited me up for lunch. I was delighted to accept, and headed up with a light heart.

We visited and caught up, sat on their deck, and James made a delicious lunch of eggplant Parmesan. I had brought some movies up with me, and had grabbed The Watcher in the Woods by mistake. It was really too hard-core Bette Davis for James I figured (I had meant to pick up Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, which neither Jeff nor James has ever seen, amazingly), but Jeff picked it and put it in, so we watched it.

Unfortunately, they did have to go in to work today. Apparently they have had to work Mondays lately. I was oh so relaxed on the deck, and really very dis-inclined to move, but it was really just as well. I reluctantly said my goodbyes and drove back home. There was plenty that needed to be done.

James called me shortly after I left, but I missed the call. It turns out they hadn't had to work after all. Dammit. But still, I really needed to get some stuff done.

I ran errands all afternoon. I got the oil changed on the car, etc. When I got in from doing all that, I took a nice long nap. I was beat.

I got up in time for supper, and turned in early. It had been a good day, but a long one.

No comments: