Saturday, April 24, 2010

A post in which I begin the day prodcutive, but it's all downhill from there

When I woke up this morning, it was raining. Lovely. Perfect weather to paint in - NOT.

Nonetheless, I got up and began stirring around. I had to change the sheets on the bed, since Jeff and James would be staying the night tonight. I also had 8,000 loads of laundry that needed to be done. For some reason I have done no laundry in the last week or so. I also made plenty of drinks to put in the fridge since they would be working in the house. Plus of course there were holes to spackle, drop cloths to drape, and I had decided to paint the ceiling to give J&J a leg up on the room. I have crown molding and stuff that has to be done, and although they blithely assured me that it would be no issue to get it done this weekend, I was concerned.

So I tuned the TV into BBC America, and watched the obnoxious design guys take over people’s houses while I worked. I usually hate the stuff they do, but I actually liked one of the houses today. They really ruined these two gay guys’ house today though. It came out all black, white, gray, and silver. And very formal. It didn’t seem to suit their personality to me, although they claimed to love it.

About the time I got the ceiling done, I took a picture of the last patch of gold (my bedroom ceiling was formerly a deep gold which I found very restful). I sent the picture to James, Jeff, and Justin. I got an ‘atta boy’ from Justin, but Jeff called and seemed put out with me. They are painting the room for me as a present, he reminded me, and wanted to know what I was doing working in there. Well I explained about how much work it was, and how I was trying to be good to them by helping, but he didn’t seem convinced.

The last patch o gold on the bedroom ceiling, shortly before being painted over...

James got on the phone and I talked to him for a bit. He seemed OK, but then told me that they had decided not to come down tonight because of the dogs. Hmm.

I got the first coat on the ceiling, and decided to rest for a while. When I got up I checked the ceiling. The paint said four hours between coats. It had been five after the nap and lunch and all, but the ceiling paint was still wet to the touch in places. Dammit. I really wanted to get that second coat on today, but the weather was just not cooperating. When I woke up this afternoon, it had rained in the living room windows while I slept. Fortunately the wind was not blowing it into the bedroom!

dana called and came by for a visit. Miss Kat is out of town for a week this week, and I’m trying to make sure she has company and doesn’t get to lonely during the absence. Not that it is work to spend time with dana or anything. She stayed for a while, and we ended up going to supper. By the time she left, I was just completely worthless. I wanted to do nothing. So I did nothing.

I just lay on the sofa like a slug watching Comedy Central and smoking cigarettes. Despite the 10,000 calories I had consumed at supper, I was hungry again. So on top of everything else I ate some string cheese. I had vague guilt about being a bad uncle, and about my unfinished ceiling, but not enough to make my stir my carcass.

I rationalized that by in the morning the ceiling would be nice and dry for another coat of paint, and turned in.

No comments: