Sunday, April 18, 2010

A post in which it is the Hat Party!

The day of the Hat Party dawned pretty, if a bit chilly. Still much better than 2007, when we about froze our butts off.

I had plenty to do, but wasn't in a terrible hurry. I had coffee and worked on my hat. I just turned the telly on to TCM and left it there, even though Some Like It Hot came on, which has never been one of my favorites. (Camp drag for straight people apparently not being my cuppa.)

Russ called, and said he wanted me ready to go by 1:30 or so, despite the fact that the party didn't start until 3pm. Some folks are usually there early to hang out, but I usually like to go in a little later to make a bit of an Entrance. But it was his day, and he had a phenomenal hat, and so I just decided to humor the diva.

By the time I got my had finished, and made the accoutrement to go with it (see picture) it was time to get ready to go. So I did. And I waited. And waited. Eventually I sent a text message to Billy, who said they would be 'leaving shortly'. We were apparently on DST (Drag queen Standard Time) and no one had told me. Which was fine.

I took a bit of a nap, and they arrived after a while. Willie was with them. Now I hadn't realized at the cook out last weekend that Willie was actually Ben's ex. He is cute as a bucket of puppies, but 25, and still apparently eating his heart out over Ben. Sigh. The drama of Youth. But at the party, it seemed that he was kind of flirting with me, unless I am very much mis-reading the signs. Confusing. It's so hard to tell now if a guy is really flirting with me, or if he thinks its 'safe' to tease me because he knows me through Russ and Billy. But I digress.

It was a lovely party. But then it always is. There were a great many very good hats this year. I figured there would be, because they had a good theme this year that was fairly accessible. Some of the themes have been kind of esoteric for the straight folks. And for me, for that matter.

I got to see my favorite Hat Party people. Both Karens were there, both looking radiant. Kimbley and Laura were there. I barely see them at all any more. It's so hard to arrange activities for three. I really miss them. I do still see them, but we don't spend time together like we used to. I hung out around Russ and Billy, and their friend Carol, who was with us. I really like Carol, although I don't know her terribly well. She's always been very nice to me. She has a sad personal story that makes me have a soft spot for her. And of course the delectable Willie was around Russ and Billy. I got to see Eddie Crane, one of my dear old friends from back in the Bar Days. We hardly ever see each other any more, unless we run into each other downtown.

The competition for Most Flawless was more quietly fierce than usual this year. Dan'l had made a huge peacock feather thing, but there was another hat there that was along the same lines, and larger. It was being worn by two guys who were there to Take Home Prizes.

OK, now this is the bitchy part. The Hat Party competition has been stepped up gradually through the years. I was there one year when a friend of mine won Most Flawless with a wrought iron light fixture woven with feather boas on his head. The whole hat probably took about 15 minutes to assemble. Those days are over. Certain elements of Costume have crept into the competition through the years simply as a way to stand out in the crowd. Indeed there was an element of Costume to my hat this year (which I wore as much for the sight gag as to be seriously competitive). But in general, a Full Costume has been deemed a bit over the top. Indeed in some years past, I think elements of Costume were quietly frowned upon when it came to actual voting. That kind of ended at the Tropical Hat Party (2008) when Dan'ls sister Karen had a full costume to go with her hat and took Most Flawless. The two guys that came today came loaded for bear frankly. They made their entrance in Full Costume. They did at least one costume change during the course of the afternoon - one into full drag. They threw beads to people. Now even when Karen wore a costume for Tropical, it was just a grass skirt and stuff that she could throw on for the parade and then take off again. So the line was being moved yet again. These guys mounted a damn political campaign.

It worked. Straight people do suffer from a dearth of Glamour, and they are quite susceptible to it as a consequence. The guy who got into drag took Most Flawless. Personally, I thought it was a bit much. I also thought it kind of violated the spirit of the party, which used to be as much about relaxing, catching up with friends, and having a good time as it was about a prize. I can remember the old years, when we all took blankets out into the big front yard and watched the sun go down. But then Russ didn't win, and I really think he should have - and not just because he's my friend. So I guess that's why I'm whiny about it, although I'd like to think I am more fair-minded than that.

But I had my own difficulties this year. I had called Dan'l before the party specifically to make sure that there wouldn't be a herd of young'uns there this year. It is an inconvenience of hanging around with straight people that they tend to reproduce regularly - so that eventually any annual event turns into some kind of romper-room, or at least has to be 'family friendly' (shudder). I had been assured that no young children would be in attendance this year, and that I would be free to express the theme as I wished. That held until I got to the party. One of the women who hadn't planned on coming changed her mind and showed up - 5 year old in tow. Now she's a lovely woman, and I like her. And I understand that you can't always get a sitter. I understand that she didn't want to miss the party. I also understand that straight people have a right to a life after children, and apparently are free to drag their squalling young'uns into restaurants (as much as I abhor this practice). But. There are some places that you just should not take children. And The Hat Party is one of those places. After she arrived, Dan'l came up to tell me that I would have to put up the gag part of my hat. I ended up having to keep that part of it hidden for most of the afternoon, while I waited for this woman to leave (she didn't - the boy had a hat, and they stayed through the Parade of Hats and everything - I whipped my gag out for the parade, kid or no kid), even though I like her. She didn't seem to have a very good time, since she had to watch the kids outside through the whole thing. It did put a crimp in the festivities for me, I have to say.

I had hoped I would place for Funniest. Most Flawless was in fierce contention, as I had known it would be with this theme. Billy had Most Original pretty much locked up, since he had a tiny chicken coop on his head with real live baby chicks in it. What that had to do with Mardi Gras, I have no idea, but hey it's all about the spectacle. But apparently everyone had their eye on Funniest. I ended up not placing at all, but I was really OK with that. I know you can't win every year.

(All pictures courtesy of Nicole Overholt)

The decorations for the party. It was a lovely theme, and the place looked great as always. Dan'l and Jim have a fabulous home for entertaining.


A cute shot of me and Kimblee. I love she and Laura so incredibly much.


Billy and Carol


Kimblee and Laura. They both take great pictures, but I particularly like this one.


Russ in his hat.


The back of Russ's hat.

Me in my hat. The theme was Mardi Gras, and the conception was to have something that just looked like people had been throwing beads at me. Then I asked, 'why would they be doing that?' At that point the accompanying soft sculpture accessory came to mind.


After the Parade of Hats, they are arranged on the lawn, in numerical order, for mulling and voting. Each hat is assigned a number. That cutie stepping over the hats is the delectable Will.


Russ, in a candid shot. I think this is while we were waiting on the votes to be tabulated.

Winner, Most Original 2010 (the title that continues to elude me, drat it) Billy, Karen's husband


Winner Funniest, 2010


Winner, 'Most Flawless, Queen of Nine Planets, Before Whom All Must Bow Down', 2010

Well you see how the awards shook out. Two of the winners were there together, and I know that one of them didn't make his own hat, which seemed to be a theme this year. The winners of two different categories didn't make their own hats this year, which frankly doesn't seem fair to me. I voted for one of them, and like the guy a lot, but had I known he didn't make his own hat I wouldn't have. I guess I can understand that some people are more creative, and just because you aren't doesn't mean you don't want to win a prize, but does the prize mean anything if you just wore someone else's creation? Perhaps not everyone cares to live up do my exacting bitchy standards. I found out later that one person there had made six different hats for people to wear this year.

I was reluctant to work on my hat this year. Ever since the year there was so much drama, the competition just isn't as fun as it used to be. I think I may stop trying to compete, and just go to enjoy seeing everyone.

No comments: