Saturday, April 3, 2010

A post in which I have a lovely visit*

I woke up this morning with pretty good intentions of things I was going to do, but didn’t get much done in the end. I had some breakfast, and decided I needed a nap. I did. I was working off a serious sleep deficit from last week. But first, I went online and fooled around online for a bit. A buddy of mine was on there, and it was his birthday. I couldn’t let him go without on his birthday, so I invited him over for a visit.

It was great, but afterwards I was more tired than ever. So I slept for a couple of hours.
When I woke up, I realized that I was going to have to do something. I went to the flea market, and then to the grocery store, to get the stuff to make the potato salad for tomorrow. I also picked up some nice avocados for a batch of guacamole that Miss Kat has asked me to make. I took yet another little bunch of stuff to Goodwill.

While I was out today, I was trying to be conspicuously charming. It’s amazing how many people (particularly older women, for some reason) are just ignored by most people. You’d be amazed how many times just acknowledging someone with a smile and a “hello” makes them light up like a Christmas tree. I was doing my best to make random people light up today. I called to talk to Miss Kat about the guacamole, and Helen answered the phone. She sounded a bit withdrawn, as she frequently does these days, but I was able to jolly her into a bit of a better mood before I got off the phone.

When I got home, I had to get cooking. I peeled my potatoes and put them on to boil while I had a late lunch. dana returned my call about delivering the guacamole to them tonight, and invited me out to dinner with them, but I couldn’t go. I had too much to do. After lunch I whipped up the guacamole, and then started chopping stuff for the potato salad.

dana called me to say they would just stop by to get the guacamole to save me a trip, which was nice, but I hadn’t done a thing to the house today – I hadn’t even made the bed. It was hardly company-worthy. But I’m trying to lay down that “house has to perfect for company” thing. It certainly wasn’t tonight.

I figured the only thing that had to be done today was the potato salad – it’s never good until it sits overnight. I had planned to make a small batch, since only about three of us would be eating it tomorrow, but I ended up with a huge mixing bowl full. Sigh. I'll be eating potato salad for a while. Justin and Amanda won't eat it, and I doubt Justin's new boyfriend will either. Jeff will eat about two tablespoons, and James and I will eat a serving. So I really only need about two and a half servings. I just can't seem to make a small batch of potato salad. I finished up the potato salad, and had almost finished cleaning the kitchen when they arrived. It was fine.

So I just sat down to enjoy their company. It was a beautiful evening, and I opened the windows to let the fresh spring air in. Crooner fell in love with Miss Kat, and was purring away on her lap. We visited and laughed together as the sun went down. It was really, really nice. It was one of those evenings when you suddenly think this is what it’s all about – this is what matters.

After they left, I did finish cleaning up the kitchen eventually, but that was about it. I was content to lie up on the sofa like a Maharani with the windows open. I chatted online for a bit, and went on to bed. It was a lazy day today, but I really needed the downtime. Last week was so incredibly packed that it was good to drift for a bit.

No comments: