Saturday, August 8, 2009

A post in which it is a busy day*

Dad called me last night. He and Eve have been in Virginia all week this week with Cole, but are taking him back today. I met them for breakfast to see him for a minute before they had to take him back. After last night I was a little ragged around the edges, but made it there by 9 as agreed.

Breakfast went pretty well. I had brokered a tiny peace offering last week. I got a picture of Brenden for them from Paul. It was a disappointing picture quality-wise, but I was encouraged. They didn't have much to say about it because Cole was there, but I tried.

They ate breakfast at a place called Mama Steve's while they were gone, which they found very amusing, as did I. They ended up bringing me back a mug from there, which was cool, and I really liked it. I'm getting quite a mug collection going though. I have like 2o, and since I seldom use more than two, I'm kind of thinking I should go through and be Ruthless With My Discards.

After breakfast I took Cole off with me to the flea market to give him a break, and to spend a bit of time just one-on-one with him. We had a talk, and walked around, but didn't stay long because it was really hot. I ran him back over to Eve and Dad's, and then came home to take a nap. I was up late last night, and I knew tonight would run long.

I woke back up at 1, pretty much feeling like shit. But I had promised Billy I would make Korean Refrigerator Pickles today, and wasn't going to disappoint him. I ran to the store, did that, then straightened up the house a bit and packed up the stuff for the party. I did feel better once I got up and started moving around.

The party started at 5. I got there about 6. As soon as I walked in, Russ and Billy had to leave to go to Billy's sister's birthday party. Bummer. Although I had valiantly tried to capture the party spirit on the way up with my hoochie CD, having to go right past the turn-off for M's house kind of took the wind out of my sales. I decided that liberal application of alcohol was called for, and by the time R&B came back I was pretty well lubricated. We had eaten dinner, and my pickles had gone over surprisingly well; well enough that I rescued the last of them and packed them up for Billy to take home. I had brought a little container expressly for said purpose.

After dinner there was some monkey business, but remarkably little for a bear party. There was of course some drama going on, and a couple of marriage moments. I ended up spending some time with a couple in the pool who were still Blissfully In Love - they had been together for only 6 months. But they were nice, and well-intentioned. I am not yet jaded enough to grudge them their happiness.

As I left the party, I had a text from a buddy, surprisingly, and ended up going over there for a visit when I got back to Greenville.

It was a good party, and I did have a good time. By the time I got home for good, though, I was glad to get home and into my bed.

1 comment:

rhonda said...

'll be glad to take a cute mug or 2 off your hands if you decide to get rid of some!