Thursday, August 20, 2009

A post in which I eat Brazilian food for supper

I slept for over 10 hours last night, only getting up for the necessary a couple of times. I woke up feeling better today. Not great. But better.

My boss’s boss was in from California for a couple of days, and sat right behind me all day today. Yeah, that’ll give you the creepin willies after a while.

After work, I was finally, blessedly off to get my hair cut. I am really tired of looking like Lyle Lovett. We had planned to go over to CafĂ© Paulista Grille for dinner tonight, and drove over to the house to get Billy and Ben. The restaurant, in an old Waffle House, is surprisingly nice and roomy inside. When they took the huge counter out, there was a lot more floor space. The food was good, although with the exception of the spicy sour tomato relish they served, I didn’t find it particularly exceptional. But then a lot of Brazilian food, like Cuban food, is very meat-centric, so a lot of the menu was barred for yours truly.

Then we got to dessert.

The woman who runs the place makes all her own breads, pastries, and cakes by hand in the restaurant. The desserts were phenomenal, although I’m not sure how Brazilian they were. I settled on a torte of layered yellow cake and whipped caramel icing, covered with chocolate icing and slivered almonds all over the outside. We also split a huge rum ball (a bit bigger than a golf ball), with pieces of mango and rich chunks of dark chocolate in the whipped center. I am not a rum ball fan, but O. M. G.

We went back to Russ and Billy’s house to eat dessert and talk for a bit, but by about 9 I was done. As I headed home, I started to feel worse and worse. I don’t know if it was the rich food (not the best idea), the smoking (which was absolutely a bad idea), or just doing too much, but by the time I got home, I was really ready to be in the bed.

No comments: